I have a Nucleus server, can I add music files directly to Roon from my laptop?

I have a Nucleus server, can I add music files directly to Roon from my laptop and have multiple music storage locations?

Hi Paul,

Just to clairfy which you mean, do you

1. Want to move files from the laptop TO storage on the Nucleus

or

1. Want to add the files on your laptop as a watched Roon Storage location.

Both are possible, but, very different executions.

2 Likes

Yes, you can have multiple storage locations, however, (this may seem obvious, but…) if you add a directory on your laptop to Roons watched folders, that storage location would only be available while the laptop is running and connected to the same network.

If on the other hand, your Nucleus has internal storage, or it is using some other location as it’s main watched folder, you can drag and drop the files on your laptop to onto the Roon app and it will copy the files to the default storage location that the Roon server is using. Or you can copy the files to the watched folder using windows file explorer or the MAC equivalent and they will show up in Roon.

Here is some light reading for you:

Hi Rugby,

Thanks for getting back to me. I wanted the option of playing new albums I’d downloaded to my laptop without going through the laborious process of adding the files to the Nucleus server. I didn’t know that I could drag and drop files to the Roon app on the laptop though. I must try that.

Cheers

Paul

It’s not exactly hard to copy or the Nucleus once setup it can be done pretty quickly, you can even set up an Automator to copy to it if you wanted to.

Drag and dropping files into Roon is ok but it will put them in a different folder called Roon Imports not your main location, but you can move them later to the main storage location if you wish, it won’t change anything and keeps all your history on them.