I’m lost on how to get to Roon from where I am

X[quote=“AndersVinberg, post:55, topic:49589”]

Yes, I am very much in favor of dedicated, single-purpose devices like the Roon Nucleus or the Sonore MicroRendu, and getting general-purpose computers out if the picture (I have written at length here; some disagree.)

[/quote]

I will eventually be looking into these single purpose devices because I, too, think they are a great idea, but meanwhile I am reading the article Anders has referred me to (Thank You, Anders) which is making a lot of sense.

Almost right away, I came across this:

Roon is not corporate, management is not a cost, but the root problem remains: complexity makes it difficult to set things up and keep them running reliably and adjust and tune them. Computing complexity is the bane of our enjoyment. Just look at the forums.

Oh yes, does that resonate with me!

Computing complexity is not the only complexity, there are all sorts of technical challenges! They dominate my current existence! I love to laugh whenever I see UPnP, the acronym for Universal Plug and Play. If only it were really plug and play.

I cannot begin to estimate the hours and hours, days and weeks I’ve been burning the midnight oil on one sort of technical problem or another, or learning about the complex subject of streaming.

Good idea. I will definitely start there. And easily expand from there as I wish. At the same time I will add a Roon Endpoint like the MicroRendu to my Audio Alchemy DDP-1. Even if the DAC is eventually replaced by another in the living room, I will then use it and the MicroRendu at my computer, so this is s good investment either way.

Luckily, three of my four systems are Ethernet connected and the last one can wait indefinitely because the WiFi is adequate.

So, really, I’m almost there. My DAC has to come back toward the end of next week where it had a minor repair. That ought to give me time to get a MicroRendu. By week after next or sooner I should be listening via Roon.

It’s taken over 60 messages to get me educated to this point! I feel very fortunate to have had such generous support! Thank you all, you’ve been absolutely wonderfully helpful.