I think my NUC has died!

So I went ahead and purchased a NUC7i5BNHXF. If I transfer the RAM, SSD and hard drive from my current unit into the new one will it just work… or will I need to do anything else to get it up and running?

As ever, thank you all for all your responses.

Ian

I think the Nuc8 and Nuc7 use different RAM, your Nuc8 RAM might work (albeit at reduced speed) but perhaps someone else can confirm this - or just try it. The M2 boot drive and music SSD (if fitted) should both just move over.

It would be best to check for Intel-validated components using the Intel compatibility tool:

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=95067

1 Like

Thank you - I’ll check out my ram and buy new if necessary. The NUC is scheduled to arrive until 12/21. I’ll update how things go. Thank you again to all who have helped.

Before you get to far down the road, have you tried removing the M.2 SSD from your old NUC and seeing if it then boots to the BIOS POST Screen ?

Thank you David - but yes. I had the IT people at work check it out and the mother board is dead.

So my new (used) NUC arrived safe and sound. I transferred the RAM, SSD and hard drive over from old unit and fired it up. However, it does not show up on my network. I’m guessing / hoping that I need to connect it to a monitor and go in and make sure it is booting from the SSD… Does that make sense or do I need to try something else?

Thank you

Ian

1 Like

Good plan! Connect a monitor and check for signs of life! You might also want to check the RAM and M2 stick are fitted correctly.

Will do - thank you

You should reinstall the whole thing from scratch.

I figured wklie - just being lazy, over optimistic and a little intimidated. :rofl: :rofl:

Success!!! I don’t really know what I did but I unplugged the NUC from its usual home (in a cupboard) and plugged it back in near to the TV so I could connect a monitor. Every thing worked. \ROCK\ was discovered on my network. I switched the core back to the NUC and started playing music at once. :grinning: So then I moved the NUC back to the cupboard and it all still worked.

So happy!!! I guess I had something connected wrong.

Thank you again to all who offered advice and suggestions.

Happy New Year to you all.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.