I was in one of the largest earthquakes ever in 1971

Ughhhhh. That date always hits me wrong. I was in one of the largest earthquakes ever in 1971, a 6.7. I was 10 and still vividly remember it. San Fernando Valley, LA, CA

1 Like

Out of curiosity, where was the earthquake?

San Fernando Valley, LA, CA

Thanks

I’ve never been through a 6+. Must be scary!

1 Like

Yes, I experienced it as a 13 year old in West L.A. It woke me up and it felt like I was surfing in my bed.

1 Like

I remember that morning very well. I was living in Lakeview Terrace at the time which was very close to the epicenter. It struck at 6AM and and I flew out of bed to a mixture of the sound of the quake itself and the sound of glass breaking in the kitchen.

It’s had to believe it’s been 50 years.

1 Like

The epicenter was in Sylmar, CA.

1 Like

I was in Oakland during the Loma Prieta earthquake of Oct. 17, 1989. Richter scale was 6.9.

1 Like

We were boarding a plane in Anchorage, in the jetway with 50 others, when the Nov 30, 2018 earthquake hit. 7.1!

1 Like

Hope you weren’t at the game. :grin:

No, but, when it hit just after 5 pm, I was just leaving my office in Berkeley to head home to watch the game! I lived in downtown Oakland at the time.

1 Like

I was living in Pasadena, CA when the San Fernando earthquake hit in 1971. I was 9 and slept through most of the quake. I was having a dream and thought the quake was part of the dream. My Mom had to slap me to wake me up to get under the door way.

I was working in Cupertino when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit in 1989. I was 28 and under a desk installing a LaserWriter and its AppleTalk connector. The LaserWriter bounced on the desk and I was able to get up and grab it before it feel off the desk on to me.

3 Likes

Seems as if the quakes are following you. :flushed:

Where exactly are you living at this point??

:smile:

1 Like

Still in the San Jose area…the odds are against me! It won’t be long until I move out of this crazy state, though.

San Francisco in 1989 for me.

1 Like

Along with my original 1971 post, I was also out in Napa for the 6.0 in 2014. Have to evacuate the hotel it was so badly damaged.