I will be the canary in the coal mine...for you (M2 Pro Mac Mini)

I would get one, for the osx because I’m used to it, and for running HQP on the same machine with roon. What I do now with m1 mini.

Did someone tried to install Rock on a Mac hardware. I did that with volumio

Of course. I hope you get what you’re looking for. I’d personally never get a Nucleus.

I remembered that you bought a Nucleus+, why did you returned if you do not mind me asking?

Nuc is only really worth it if you want to use a Nvidia GPU to use cuda cores for HQP. But you will looking at a very expensive nuc that is very powerhungry and probably loud…

Nucleus is probably the worst value for money computer to get a roon core

2 Likes

I for sure don’t want to spend a lot of time on Roon’s forums dissuading people from buying Roon Hardware, but I just couldn’t remain comfortable with spending $2500 for a Roon Core, and the Mac can be repurposed for something else when I’m done with it for Roon. (In fact my current Mac Mini is going into my studio as a 3rd machine)

3 Likes

My Nucleus has been great for over 3 years. I did have to replace the M.2 once. I wanted a turn-key device and was willing to pay more vs DIY. I only paid $1119 direct from Roon. I paid $25.93 a few months ago for the replacement M.2 plus an hour of my time.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll be upgrading the dac this year, and depending on that I’ll bug you with questions for the HQP computer. Right now I have a Zen Stream and that is 256 max. While m1 mini can not do all the filters@modulators I’m ok.

I thought it was a great piece of gear. I could for sure see why someone would buy them, and in fact, I did.

Works for you. And a good point.

1 Like

If I had 2500 with hifi written on them, I’d go for a Mac mini Pro M2 and use the rest on a kicka** NUC with a fanless case, and use the change for flowers for the wife. Win Win :wink:

2 Likes

now you tell me :slightly_smiling_face:

What? Why would you install full Roon if running headless the server app doesnt need any GPU to be active does it?

Traian, don’t be… If you ever think about changing or upgrading your Core, you can pick my brain…

3 Likes

Yep, good point, use the RoonServer app. I presume you’re still going to want to Remote Desktop it though…

true but would that not activate the GPU though? Seems daft that macs cant run properly headless.

No… you’re limited to 1280 x 1024, with the dummy HDMI dongle thingy, you can go to 4096 x 2160 (or whatever) - I am NOT a salesman for these things, I just know when I ran my mini without a screen, remote desktop was as slow as molasses in Canada in winter, and this thing fixed it with bells on :slight_smile:

1 Like

He he, thanks… that is good to know

A weakness in their OS then.

Nice :joy:

You’ve taken a bit of an unfair beating here, @Doug_Hannah. I agree with @Jim_F’s comment:

Please take what I’m about to say as informational, not opinionated.

If I’m understanding your plans, you’re going to go from an M1 Mini with 8GB to an M2 Mini with 16GB. That right?

Those are both awesome computers. You mention that you like the idea of the additional RAM giving you more headroom. The thing I want to say is that the additional RAM is probably never going to make a human-perceivable difference. I’m not saying that with computers in general, moving from 8GB to 16GB (or any incremental increase) doesn’t make a difference. I’m saying this specifically about the M1 and M2 architecture.

Apple did a fantastic job with the memory architecture on these computers. Shared memory, super fast bus, super fast SSDs acting as backing store. The consequence of all of this, as reviewers have been saying since the first M1 release, is that it is very, very hard to push these things to a place where memory becomes a gating factor. If you want to see what I mean, try launching a ton of apps on your M1 - apps that use a lot of RAM if you’ve got them. Switch between apps. Try to get it to break a sweat. If you’re like the reviewers/analysts and like me, you’ll struggle. If you’re compiling a massive project or doing something extreme in Logic Pro, you might find yourself hitting issues. But for the purpose of Roon and even a large library, it’s hard for me to believe that you’d ever hit a place where 16GB vs. 8GB (or an M2 vs an M1) would make a difference.

What I’m saying does not apply to Nucleus, NUC, or any PC. I’m speaking specifically about the M1/M2 machines from Apple. It’s as if they come from a different universe.

If I were in your shoes, I might just put the M2 down on my desk and use it as my primary computer and leave the M1 to do its thing as a Roon core. But I won’t blame you if you don’t. You can’t go wrong whatever you do.

5 Likes