I would like to install ROCK on the Linux Ubuntu

I would like to install ROCK on the Linux Ubuntu where currently my HQPlayer is running. I have installed a very poorly maintained Roon Server, that frankly from the Roon page is crappy supported. I guess Roon want to sell the NUC all-in-one instead of dealing with customers different needs? The install intructions covering Ubuntu 15 is outdated and Roon could spend some more on us Linux users if they really would like us staying or in my case comming back?

Well then, finally installed, the Roon playback became a surprising SQ improvement compared to having the Roon Core installed on separate PC. Now, there is hardly any difference anymore between the Roon Server playback and the HQP Client Player software when playing back same track to the same HQPlayer Embedded re-sample software, with identical setting. When I tried this a year ago or so, the HQPlayer Client playback was completely superior in all aspects.

Now, is here anyone who actually know how to install later ROCK distributions on the Linux LTS 22.04? It is perhaps an illusion, but I would imagine the ROCK to be more lean running compared to the Server edition and consequently might save computer power (fan speed)?

Rock is its own operating system, you dont install it on another operating system.

2 Likes

When you say “ROCK”, do you mean Roon Server?

I do want to install it under another OS, if possibel. It is not a matter of need, it is a matter if want.

I think I said I managed ro install Server, but I won’t ROCK and I also added the reason.

Rock is its own operating system. I suppose if you could install a VM on your linux install then you could install rock into that. But you arn’t just going to install linux into linux.

I run ubuntu server and followed the instructions for install roon from the roon website and it runs flawlessly.

Struggling to understand your desire to install linux (rock) into linux (Ubuntu)

Yes, I get that. Thing is, as ROCK are a Linux based software, there should not be a problem to install on Linux OS, if the code where accessible. I want HQPlayer Embedded to cooperate with Roon on same OS. Not virtual machine or any walk around. When PC starts, it starts both Roon ROCK and HQPlayer software. That way I get a really nice one purpose machine suitable to place in another room, as I also built a (silent) NAA close to the audio rig.
So, I have installed the Server, it works 
 not flawless in my opinion, but works. It looses control of HQPlayer for some reason on occassions. It simply will not make Roon control the volume. It cements my opinion the better way would a better playback software for HQP, which I have been using last running year. This software never surprise me other that lack of smooth management, which Roon offers
From the start, I had the Roon ROCK as an image on a separate computer, but the SQ was inferior to having the HQPlayer Client software player. Now, on same computer with HQPlayer as local host, the difference is very small.
I think I will keep the Roon Server, use it the way it works best, and use the HQPlayer Client, when needed.

But Rock, is just roon server on top of linux!

There is nothing different in terms of the actual ‘roon’ bit. If you have installed roon server on linux and its going wrong thats something for you to diagnose. If its insurmountable then you could try installing rock as a stand alone OS, assuming the device is compatible.

1 Like

No you don’t get it. Roon OS, which is the basis of ROCK, is its own self-contained operating system, just like other Linux-based operating systems like Ubuntu, and just like Windows or macOS.

You can’t install one operating system within another operating system, except if you use a Virtual Machine or similar abstraction.

Roon Server is the Roon software that runs on top of Roon OS, and together they form ROCK.

You can run Roon Server on another Linux, but not ROCK

4 Likes

This is incorrect. ROCK stands for “Roon Optimized Core Kit”. Roon Labs defines it in their help docs as “a do-it-yourself build of Roon OS”, but users can’t really build Roon OS. Roon Labs has not released the source code or build procedures. I would define ROCK as a DIY (do-it-yourself) assembly of the following components:

• an IntelÂź NUC Kit with a part number that’s on Roon’s hardware support list
  • memory and an NVMe SSD boot drive that’s compatible with the selected NUC Kit
  • the Roon OS image installed on the above hardware
  • Roon Server (included with Roon OS)

Essentially, it enables Roon subscribers with the necessary inclination to build a physical appliance with, essentially, the same interface and functionality as the Nucleus/Nucleus+ products. It’s really nice that Roon Labs enables us to do this vs requiring folks to purchase their solution. This not only saves money; it enables folks to select hardware that’s suitable for their situation. Nucleus is based on Intel’s Core i3 processor and Nucleus+ uses the i7. But, subscribers are free to do a ROCK build using an Core i5 NUC Kit if that’s a better fit for their situation.

Don’t think of “ROCK” as software. Think of it as a DIY Nucleus-like appliance. As an appliance, there’s no way to “login” or add additional software.

If you want to run Roon OS and HQPlayer on the same physical machine, operating system options are limited to Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, and Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or Fedora). Install HQPlayer as normal and install the Roon Server application. Configure them to talk to each other over the O/S loopback interface (127.0.0.1).

2 Likes

The Roon Server that is included with Roon OS (part of a ROCK build) is exactly the same as the Roon Server package released for other Linux distributions.

Roon OS, itself, is quite a bit leaner than virtually any other Linux-based O/S. But to get those benefits (reduced power usage, slower fan speeds), you’ll need to do a ROCK (or MOCK) build on compatible hardware.

I would add that if you’re running HQPlayer and upsampling everything to DSD1024 or whatever, power efficiency kind-of goes out the window.

1 Like

If ROCK is Server on Linus thin OS, it si fine. I remember when ROCK came it was boasted as an extra lean image for NUC’s lighter performance compared to the regular PC.

I DO get it! It is like HQPlayer Embedded, it is embedded in a custom-tailored OS for the purpose of being just sufficient to hold functionality of the Roon Core software and nothing else!

I DO get it! OK? [moderated].

I am looking for a way to lift the Roon Core software from its OS component and instead install it on Linux full-blown Ubuntu. Now, as I said above, I will settle with Server version and just hope and pray there is some maintenance to that software in order to keep up with the progress of Ubuntu and other Linux distributions. Now, Roon seems to have stopped at Ubuntu 15 according to their homepage.

The reason, I want to run Roon core on same computer as the HQPlayer software, to have the communication between the two parts inside and not to have:

1. two computers to maintain
  2. spare the local network the traffic between the two softwares.

But, to stop every person that seems prone to educate me what Roon ROCK is, I would like to invite anyone, if it is even possible, to suggest how to install ROCK onto the Ubuntu PC I have. But if there is no way to achieve this “bastard” sw solution, I will settle for Roon Server for the time being 
 It does work, not perfectly, but adequately for the time being 

I think you have confused people by continually asking the same question despite the answer being no and no and no.

4 Likes

You just described Roon Server. With ROCK, it’s running on top of RoonOS. On Ubuntu, it’s installed by yourself. The Roon Server software is the same.

EDIT: I somehow missed that @David_Snyder said the exact same a few posts above – and way more eloquent to boot:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-linux-install-vs-rock/68661/46

2 Likes

Thanks, now you undrstand my inquiry. I fully appreciate that Server on Linux Ubuntu is in most aspects a ROCK. I can live with that. It is not perfect as it does not have the full functionality. I cannot get the volume work between Roon Server and HQP. It shows the volume, but does not change in Roon. I need to keep the HQP Client software open to access the volume from an Android app managing the HQP Client. Not perfect, but doable. Occassionally Roon Server has lost control over HQP. Rare, but irritating, I have to update the HQP Enbedded config page first, then restart Roon remote control app and start playback again.
When it comes to performance my PC is close to max using the Roon Server and HQplyer at my settings to process the bitstream at DSD256. It cannot cope with the same settings at DSD512, at all. It is already so noisy it is impossible to have in a (any) room. That is maybe the reason for those occassional drop outs, I don’t know yet. Roon have a lot of processes going compared to HQPlayer, why it is like Windows. One should be able to shut some of them off, while playing in my humble opinion.However, thanks for understanding what I asked for, and I thank also for the comment that Roon Server is almost alike as ROCK except the taylored OS. Now Qobuz Radio works and I can play my NAS library, which HQP have failed to connect irrespective of any of the vast number of tutorials I have tried to follow :slight_smile: Peace, brother

I got that, thanks. My thoughts is that ROCK is perhaps a bit more lean, to compensate for weaker hardware, than the full Server. I am close to the limit what my present PC is capable of at my setting in HQP. That is the only reason for my inquiry here to see if any have the method to install ROCK from its embedded position onto a Linux OS. OK?

I have continued to ask same question because I have not been given any answers, just explanation that ROCK is embedded in a taylored thin Linux OS Image, which I already know.
So from my position, I have asked same question over and over because evryone keep commenting things about what ROCK is. I ask about if ROCK can become something else, ie if it possible to lift from the Embedded Image and re-install on a full Linux OS. OK?

You wrote this, which was entirely incorrect:

Others and myself explained it, so take it or leave it

Exaclty what I did. But, I use the “local host” for their communication. I that not recommendable? I the interafce above an IP address? Or, how does it work?