I would like to install ROCK on the Linux Ubuntu

From what i understand @Stefan_Jorma wants to optimize performance of a combined install of HQPlayer and RoonServer on the same PC running linux Ubuntu.
There‘s a misunderstanding regarding the RoonServer application inside ROCK being „thinner“ or more optimised than the regular Linux RoonServer application and therefore desirable to be „extracted“ from the ROCK distribution to be used on a general purpose Linux installation. As pointed ou by others this is not the case, both RoonServer applications are the same.

I see the following options for @Stefan_Jorma here:

a). figure out a way to make the existing Ubuntu installation leaner to free up system resources, for example move from desktop to server version, if you’re running desktop.
take a look at this thread for advice regarding performance tweaks:

b). Seperate RoonServer and HQPlayer on separate machines. This way you could put RoonServer on a relatively inexpensive NUC running ROCK and enhance performance for both Roon and HQPlayer. This should free up significant resources for HQplayer on the existing PC.

c]. get an even more powerful machine to keep both Roon and HQPlayer on the same machine.

4 Likes