ID40 seems to break roon

I’ve added an 861v8 with ID40 to my collection of Roon endpoints. However, it seems that whenever the ID40 is connected to the network, Roon breaks. None of the endpoints play. The iphone app shows the left/right/left play position, or sometimes just ignores the play button. It got so bad, my Oppo 203 hung too. This has happened twice when plugging in the ethernet jack to the ID40. Both times, disconnecting it and restarting roon resolved the issue. (Restarting roon without disconnecting the jack did not).

I’ll reproduce it when I’m paying attention to the time so I can get some logs. In the mean time, anyone else hear of this? (Sooloos killing Roon)

Cc: @support

Hi @Jamie_Briant,

I think the first step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Will do. Will be tonight (US Pacific) at the earliest. Thanks.

Edit: This just occurred to me to mention - I’m playing all this off Tidal. /Edit
Couldn’t get the whole thing to stop working. Did have the problem of the playback stopping midway through track

19:22 start playback
19:25 stopped by itself.
19:29 started playback again
19:37:11 stopped dead again.

Hifiberry and phone still work. I switched to playing via the oppo:

Hmm. at 20:03:01 I was playing on the oppo 203, and that stopped too. these things are all wired with 1GE. Then at 20:08 the next track didnt play because of buffering (it looks like). Got stuck at 4%. While that was happening, I ran a speed test on my internet connection, and it hit 300MB/s quite happily (the limit of the phone). Maybe that was tidal being slow? Then a little later it dropped again.

09/16 20:10:45 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read -- this isn't good

The “this isn’t good” is part of the line, not my commentary! :joy:

That happened the other times the audio stopped too.

Anyway, I assume that this thing is sending logs back to the mothership. Let me know if its not and i’ll zip them up and send them.

If the weird “everything stops working” happens again I’ll note the time and send logs again.

Thanks,

Jamie

Well, classic timing. Right after I sent the above, now I can’t play anything on anything. Hifiberry, oppo, 861, all stuck. Some time around 20:24. Sorry forgot to write down the time immediately. Anyway, its totally busted now.

20:40-ish: Around 20:40 I thought i’d give internet radio a go, and that seemed to work, at first, but I got no sound, and the oppo stopped responding to input. I turned the oppo off and on again, and still got no sound, until I turned the 861 off and on again. :joy:
20:46: Ok, gave internet radio another go on the oppo at 20:46, and this time I got a working oppo and sound.
20:49: Woke up the hifiberry with ethernet radio too.

I don’t have any of my own music on the roon server, having just set up a new server, and building a NAS, so I can’t check on-disk sources. Everything up till the radio has been off Tidal.

Thanks for the timestamps, @Jamie_Briant.

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

In the meantime, can you describe your networking setup for us?

Sure. I have a 1GE switch in basement. Cat6 to a second 1GE switch in the living room, and a third upstairs in the study. The Oppo and 861 are attached to the living room switch. The roon core is attached to the study switch. The house is wired Cat6. The switch in the basement also connects to the gateway router, which connects to the modem, which has Cat6 to the fibre OTP. The hifiberry is connected over wifi. Wifi are Luma mesh devices, also wired with Cat6 to switch in basement, so they don’t have to use the mesh for transit, just serving devices.

Hi @Jamie_Briant — Thanks for the info. Can you confirm the models of the switches mentioned above? Are they managed switches?

Unmanaged. Netgear I think. Will check when I’m home.

Netgear.
Basement: GS316
Living room: GS108
Study: GS105
Living room and study connected to basement.

Hi @Jamie_Briant,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Core machine.

Sent you a message with the dropbox link to logs.