ID41 card / 861v8 loses "lock" to Roon

Try asking around on the Meridian Unplugged forums… I think there are unofficial solutions to this problem floating around.

No one is forthcoming with any solution yet from HH :smiley: - do you know of any? :smiley: I guess it is not bad enough at the moment - but it is causing a little of annoyance.

@sparoz send me the card and I will plug it into my 861 and update it for you, no charge just postage costs.

Russ

Thanks Russ for the kind offer and much appreciated :D. Sending the card to the UK is not exactly cheap - and a MC200 may be a good option as I am looking for more endpoints for my new house - just seems a bit redundant. You have just prompted me to see if there are any friendly Meridian Sooloos user near me :).

@sparoz That is definitely the way to go, I have just updated a friends ID40, it took 5 minutes, the Local Meridian dealer refused to do it! So a friend is your best option. An MC200 purchase as an endpoint is expensive, an MS200 would give you the same quality at a quarter of the price.

Russ

[quote=“Ratbert, post:65, topic:2124”]An MC200 purchase as an endpoint is expensive, an MS200 would give you the same quality at a quarter of the price.
[/quote]Yes, but and MC200 can run the core and be used to update other Sooloos devices, which I believe is the thinking behind the comment.

Personally, if I were in that boat, I’d wait for Sooloos Core on QNAP and spend money on a QNAP device rather than an MC200 and until then I’d seek out a local(ish) friendly Meridian/Sooloos Hitchhiker to help out.

@carl The answer is for Meridian to pull their finger out and provide a way of updating Fw outside of using a Sooloos core! They had a head start with Roon, the network streaming worked from the start, instead of embracing this advantage and building on it they have given nothing but mixed messages, when Roonspeakers protocol is released very soon then it will be a level playing field and Meridian may come to regret their actions and those of certain of their dealers.

Russ

Agreed. I’m concerned that if Meridian does not provided an official solution soon, I suspect users will resort in seeking and using non-approved methods.

@carl Inevitable I would say in the absence of any alternative.

Russ

Agree with @Ratbert.

At this moment several folks still have a duplicate stack. I expect that to change rather quickly as Roon evolves (1.1 seems to put it either on or over the critical mass mark imho).

The few users that no longer have a Sooloos core already seem to already hit less than cooperative dealers, don’t expect coorperation to go up if the ask increases.
Personally, I sourced my Meridian gear second hand, mostly outside the dealer channel and would feel awkward to ask a dealer to go through the hassle of upgrading my kit with each firmware release.

If Meridian pushes out a new firmware with benefits for Roon users without a local update solution that doesn’t need a Sooloos core (and I don;t count qnap as a viable solution) then I expect the community will have no choice but to get creative… which will be a pain for all parties involved, including Meridian.

I’m sure they have realized this, which is why Bob has indicated that they will release a solution. I have good hope that a little patience will fix it (he said slightly naively :wink: ) :smile:

@rovinggecko

I agree, communication communication communication.

Russ

If anyone in Germany needs an ID40/ID41 or any other Meridian endpoint updated, I would also be happy to do it for postal costs.

2 Likes