Identification failure despite album being in Musicbrainz

Content you’re reporting an issue with

I am puzzled why roon won’t identify my library copy of Chicago’s Mahler 2 with Haitink. The album is in musicbrainz (Release “Mahler 2” by Mahler; Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Symphony Chorus, Miah Persson, Christianne Stotijn, Bernard Haitink - MusicBrainz) and in allmusic (Bernard Haitink, Miah Persson, Christianne Stotijn, Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Mahler: Symphony No. 2 Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic) and I have fiddled with titles and performers trying to match what is in those two sources. My track times are identical to those in both sources. So what do I need to do to get this identified?

Just to be clear, I know almost nothing matters if an album isn’t identified. It still plays just fine, the cover art appears where it should, the metadata I provided appears where it should. I can easily edit all the metadata, but this is what roon is supposed to do. And this isn’t the only case. Not all of the disks in Imogen Cooper’s Schubert: The Last Six Years cycle are identified (some are), one of Jansons Tchaikovsky symphonies with the Oslo Philharmonic is not identified while all the others are,

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is the album identified in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

I note that the release has no Disk IDs. This is a reason why Roon cannot identify the album.

If your ripper software supports MusicBrainz, use this to submit the ID. Otherwise, download MusicBrainz Picard and follow this guide…

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_Disc_IDs

Allow a few days for the data to filter into Roon.

@Stan_Jones The metadata (aggregated from multiple sources) are a bit strange on this one. However, if you use the search terms in the screenshot below, you should be able to find the album (2nd result for me).

Edit: actually, “Bernard Haitink” and “Mahler: Symphony No. 2” nails it as the top result.

1 Like

I did not know about the role of disc ids; thank’s for that info. Unfortunately, the release in question was a download, not a cd, and I cannot figure out from these instructions (I do have Picard) how to deal with downloads.

If you don’t have the CD, then don’t worry about this. Follow the instructions provided by @joel, and manually identify the album.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.