If I install a hard drive in a Roon Rock which is just being used as an Endpoint will it be accessible to Roon ROCK server on same network?

If I install a hard drive in a Roon Rock endpoint (Grim MU1) which is just being used as an Endpoint will it be accessible to Roon ROCK server on same network?

Regards

Andrew Watson

I believe the share is via RoonOS not Roonserver so in theory it should be available. Have to ask why though. You don’t want to have files on the endpoint if it’s not the Roon Server as it all have two network hops as all files are processed through the core.

Does the Grimm actually run ROCK? I thought it ran its own flavour of Linux.

In your suggestion, when you play something back, the music files would stream to the RoonServer first, be processed into PCM and then be sent back to the endpoint. That is a whole lot of extra network activity and additional sources of playback failure.

Also, the Grimm would need to be able to share the installed drive as a network accessible drive.

Yes I guess my question is will the Roon Server check for a music files stored on Roon endpoints?

A

Not automatically. You would need to set up the network location under Settings/ Storage.

Thank You

A

Don’t do it that way. That makes no sense.