iFi NEO iDSD flaws

I’m waking up this old thread because iFi Audio released new firmware for the NEO iDSD last December:

I’ve had mine stuffed in a cupboard because it was so flakey with MQA playback on v1.35; however, with the new v1.59 release, problems seem to be 95% fixed… The firmware also adds some spiffy new filters. At the moment, I seem to prefer the minimum phase filter, but I need to do more listening.

The NEO iDSD is still a little sensitive to the quality of the digital input signal. I experienced some flakey behavior with it connected to an old MacBook Pro, but no issues streaming from a VitOS endpoint (so far).

On DACs, I’ve been on a Topping kick lately. I appreciate how precise they can be, but I forgot how enjoyable iFi DACs can be. With the bundled USB iPurifier3 and S/PDIF iPurifier2, you’re getting a lot for $799, even compared to competition from Topping, S.M.S.L., Gustard, and others.

Note the “MIN” on the display. If you choose the GTO filter, the display will indicate if input is being upsampled to 352.8 or 384 kHz. If I get around to doing measurements of the response of each of these filters, I’ll post them here.

If you have the NEO iDSD, get it updated to v1.59 and let me know what you think of the filters and stability of MQA. It’s not perfect…when Roon is doing MQA Core Decoding, there’s still a gap between “gapless” tracks, but at least it’s not going into full freakout mode like it did with v1.35.

3 Likes

I would never ever buy anything from ifi again,they make good hardware but there software is ridiculously bad,out of every device I’ve owned I find there software very frustrating

there is a place
their is a possessive pronoun

Just saying…

Feel free to flag this if you want.

Hi!
I’ve set up the Zen Streamer as a Bridge for the NEO iDSD, all works no skipping, sounds great :+1:t2:, just wanted to check if this is right and wondering:

why the MQA notice is not showing on NEO display?

I also have all drivers updated.

Notice I use the ifi xDSD icon to represent the NEO DAC.

You selected BP filter on the DAC?

This shows on the Neo screen

Change filter?

And check if you have the MQA firmware (not driver)

Sometimes iFi offers multiple firmwares to choose

Yes, I select the BP filter, but it should show MQA label from what I read, I changed the filter to standard and shows STD instead.

I noticed I missed installing Firmware 1.35 but I already installed the 1.59 version. Do I need to install Firmware 1.35 also? Any conflicts? I’ll skip! seems fine

Notice: just in case, I’m also checking directly with ifi support, just send a ticket, and will share outcomes

Edited:
I’ve seen the videos of ifi roon setup and they are missing a step! They are wrong!

They need to go >Advance settings >>“Enable MQA core decoder

Because I’m using Zen Streamer my Max Sample rate (DSD) is 256, otherwise, 512 if connected to my Mac (I guess)

Now the MQA file it changes from PCM 44kHz:

To OFS 44kHz

Hi @David_Snyder, no gaps between tracks, really enjoy the BP filter, and will try others! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

There is no firmware 1.59 for Neo iDSD? Are you confusing driver with firmware?

And you can’t install two firmwares anyway. Just one.

Also try to set Roon MQA settings to “decoder only”

I Get (U216A) - Firmware from December 30, 2021 and you get (U216B) I guess because we have different serial numbers, we get a different driver name? Maybe the same driver but put a different name to don’t share the driver?

1 Like

ok then it is probably the same (same release date) and same release notes

I totally agree with you! I’ve been playing with it and enjoy it a lot!

1 Like