Ifi Pro IDSD device setup

Not completely true. I connect from the XLR output of my Mutec to the XLR input of the iFi and upsample to DSD 512/1024 or PCM 702/768k.

Couldn’t agree more. Not only is it lacking in functions, but the beam is so narrow one must point dead on to get any response.

I bought my unit over a year and a half ago and MQA was advertised but not present or even coded yet. I see little has changed.

Hmm, I don’t believe this is true or that there is any SQ benefit to USB 3.0.

Couldn’t understand what the associated little do-hickey was. It sat in my spare parts box for a year, until I contacted iFi to ask about the weird back panel port that was labeled optical. :laughing:

My tubes went south after about 2 months of use. I don’t miss them. They didn’t do much.

Still after all of the above, I dig this unit. The sound for the money, or for any money close, can’t be beat.

Interesting. My only experience with XLR (or the like) is with the Neutrik/Speakon cable that goes to my subwoofer. I don’t understand how the Mutec works with the upsampling/filtering process, but you must like what it does.

Anyway, I’d be interested in any technologies other than S/PDIF and USB than can carry high res music signals better. USB can be a PITA. One of my biggest problems in connecting up the ultraRendu, iDSD and amp was getting them to do their USB handshakes reliably.

I can understand why someone would send one of these back. OTOH, the sound and in some ways the features are so nice, for the price point, that I expect to keep it.

I’m getting loud pops/clicks when turning knobs on the iFi iDSD. Normal? I never get this with my integrated amp.

I will concur with most everything you say on the packaging, setup, remote control (I threw it in drawer and manually turn knobs for now until I can get my harmony remote to control the iDSD), and the MQA difficulty. I am using this as a DAC to the iCan for headphones at the desktop and currently a set of Dynaudio LYD5. It is good as a DAC but I am looking for a unit that will take ethernet to Roon as an endpoint to go a bit further with my system.