iFi Zen Stream - Real talk

Is it just me, or is the iFi Zen Stream a total pain in the a$$ and a bit of a disaster?
Even after connecting it directly to my router via ethernet, I still get random drop outs. And bad ones - it stops playing and that’s it. I have to go back to Roon, and press play manually. How is this even a thing?

Maybe i’m barking up the wrong tree and this is a Roon issue… please let me know. But literally every song i play, half way through it just… STOPS

Their interface is god-awful, and have any of you tried contacting support? It would make the Dalai Lama go into Karen mode. Their app doesn’t work, I could go on and on.

Any help insight or advice would be appreciated.
Including an alternative to the Zen Stream in a similar price bracket.

And just as I finish this rant, the music stopped :joy:

1 Like

Sounds like you might need the help of the Zenmaster!
Calling @Michael_Harris !

And this to keep you entertained through the wee hours…

1 Like

I wouldn’t have one in my setup.

2 Likes

oh gosh, thanks @AceRimmer
That is a 2100+ post thread, i’m seeing smth about a particular setup but is there a direct link or search term i could use to find it? thanks so much.

actually, second question: so would you agree that this product is headache, or is it just me? It’s such a weird one. How could iFi release such a poorly realised product?! I’ll think twice before buying their gear. And the fact that the main discussion is happening on Roon and not on their site also speaks volumes.

ugh!

Hi Marc, I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues getting your stream working smoothly. Please follow @AceRimmer advice but perhaps start at least halfway through the thread the first part is not applicable anymore. I’ve left mine in the AIO mode and it’s working very well feeding spdif to my Denon AVR. It does seem that many folks have some teething pains early on, I find iFi products are good but the multiple functions and wonky documentation can be confusing.

Best luck with it

This thread also shows how initial setup can be tricky

There were a lot of issues with the early ones, my first one was a brick right out of the box!
The replacement was actually very well behaved and did what I needed but I think they are not for the faint of heart!
I guess the first question would be is it on the very latest firmware version?
And for how to even find that I will take my leave and leave it to the Zenmaster and his associates who have had years of working through this piece of gear!

People seem to have lots of problems with Zen Stream and I can’t understand why. I just got one recently and it has worked perfectly in Roon Only and AIO modes. Only problem I’ve had with it, is that in exclusive NAA mode used with HQPlayer, it seems to lose the USB connection of my Holo DAC if the DAC is restarted (closed overnight for example). This is related to old version of NAA used in the Zen Stream, possibly to old Kernel version of ZS, and to the fact that Holo switches its USB input completely off when switching inputs. ZS finds the USB connection again when it’s rebooted.

First thing to do when you get the Zen Stream is to update the firmware. Then configure the unit to your needs at ifi.local. It’s just very simple to use it in Roon Ready mode from that point on. Either in AIO mode or Roon bridge exclusive.

Also it’s one of the best measuring USB outputs to connect to your DAC and for the price sounds excellent.

2 Likes

Hi @Marc_Kremers just reading through this thread and while the Zen Stream can be a bit of a pain to setup, though there really should be no issues once you are up and running especially with Roon as there is no interface but Roon.

That thread referenced has been running since the day the Stream was launched so it covers some very bad early experiences.

Can you confirm that WiFi is disabled through the http://ifi.local configuration page.

Also it might be worth installing the latest beta by going here http://ifi.local/dev and enabling beta updates, the go back to system and check for updates again.

You can also disable any services you don’t need (Spotify connect, Tidal Connect, DLNA AND NAA etc.
You might also try connecting Roon to the Stream to AirPlay and try that as it limits itself to 16/44 which can be useful for testing.

You can also try Roon Only mode.

2 Likes

I think the Bluesound Node 2i is about the same price, isn’t it? Or was.

If you’re just using it as a streamer, most small micro-PCs will do, or a Raspberry Pi.

I have never been disappointed with IFI product before. My first guess was to add a topping linear power supply but this has not helped at all.

I have 2 issues:

I set up a new system using the IFI Zen stream with Audiolab 6000a and Kef speakers and it sounded lifeless. I switched to a MacBook and a Schiit usb to spdif converter and the sound completely opened up and improved dramatically. I am using Roon and have the Zen on Exclusive mode.

I moved the Zen into my bedroom setup and now I have to unplug it to get it to wake up and start up. It will not come back on unless I pull the plug out. This system is a Peachtree IDac/ Jolida integrated/ Wharfdale speakers. It is not as lifeless but not good. It is not close to the sound of my laptop and converter. Still sounds flat and loses all air and soundstage.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, it sometimes does not play at all. It shows it’s playing in Roon but no sound coming out.

David are you using All in One mode or Roon only mode?

Also are you up to date with he Stream firmware

I am using the Roon only setting. I updated the software when I got it 6 months ago but cannot get it to connect with the app on my phone or iPad it will not pair.

Thank you for your reply

Hi David If you are using Roon only mode then you cannot connect via anything but Roon as it shuts all other services down to give all the memory and processor over to Roon.

You need to put the dial back into ALl in One mode Which is optional 1 on the dial and then you will be able to use the app or the web page to go to ifi.local and make configuration changes.
Then you can try some configuration changes and test it all again.

Hopefully this helps

I moved it back and cannot connect wired or wi Fo now. Maybe a defect.

I am in mode 1 but it will not connect wireless. I plugged in the Ethernet and it did connect and the software is up to date. I still have both issues.
Thanks

If you want WiFi then you have to set that up, but I do not normally recommend it, especially if Ethernet is available.
The last firmware update in the normal chain was last April or May 2022 and the later updates are all from the Dev chain.

I do not know why you have audio quality issues as most people who have this device (myself included) find that it sounds very good into most DACs either through USB or SPDIF. There can be issues with SPDIF at 24/192 but they can he mitigated with Roon only mode.

Have you tried it outside of Roon via the web interface and tried changing any settings from there?

1 Like

I was eventually able to get it to connect next Wi-Fi on the app but cannot get it to turn on I do not get any color to light up and of course cannot connect to the app now. I have tried the original plug and linear but something is definite wrong with it.

Are you using USB or SPDIF output?
And have you checked on the web page that it is set to the right one.
From memory in Roon only mode the default output is SPDIF, but in AIO mode it is USB so you need to change it in the device settings

On Settings -->Audio you will see what it says as below. Click on the device Info text box to be able to change the settings with a box like the bottom one.

2 Likes