iFI Zen Stream to Peachtree Nova is DSD Native Possible?

Hi folks

I’ve been scouring the forums for an answer to this but I’m still unsure and on the wiser. Hoping the wise folks here can provide some clarity. I have an iFI Zen Stream connected via USB (2.0) to a Peachtree Nova 150. As far as I’ve read both the iFI Stream and the Nova are capable of DSD Native playback via USB. However, the best I can get is DSD over PCM (DoP). Now this still sounds really super and I’m very pleased with the Zen Stream & Nova combo. However, I’d really like to know if I’m missing something as the marketing material for both imply DSD Native is supported.

In Roon settings I’m only seeing DoP, please see the attached screenshots. If I’m doing something wrong or have misunderstood please let me know, it would be great to be enlightened. Thanks so much in advance!

Last time I checked you had to run the Windows drivers to get native DSD. I do and get dsd 256.

You should give Peachtree support a call. Friendly guys. And ask them about linuxt

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. Apologies for asking a silly question but do you mean install usb windows drivers for the Nova 150? I’ll ping the Peachtree guys and see what they say.

Cheers!!

I I stalled the asio and USB drivers from Peachtree on m.y Windows PC. It is then plugged into. The Peachtree via USB. The windows PC runs roonbtidge so it can be an Endpoint.

@Rugby thanks for the additional info. For my situation my PC is running Roon core and is located in my study. This is then sending the stream to my IFI Zen Stream connected to Nova 150 in the living room. Are you saying to get DSD Native the Noca must be connected directly to the PC?

Yes. The windows PC running the drivers has to be directly connected via USB to the Peachtree.

Ah okay I see.
I was under the impression Roon core could send DSD Native to the IFI Stream as I’m sure it’s supported but maybe I’ve misunderstood.
Again really appreciated the replies. Thanks!!

The problem is that the ifi cannot as it is Linux, talk native to the Peachtree, it needs the windows drivers. At least as far as I understand,which is why I suggested asking peachtree.

That being said, DoP is DSD. You just won’t get the highest resolution since that is needed to wrapper the DSD in PCM.

So it sounds like it’s the IFI Stream that can’t do native, okay now I’m starting to understand. It’s confusing as the ifi literature makes it sound like it can.

Is there any difference then between DoS and Native? I guess that’s the big question.

Ian the Zen Stream can do Native DSD, but just not too the Peachtree as it only works with Windows (based on what Rugby has said in the thread above)

I use a Zen Stream with a Zen DAC and get DSD256 from that, but some DACs/Amps do not have standard drivers and that is where you can hit a problem.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Harris

Thanks for the insight really appreciated. So if the Zen Stream is attached to a PC via USB it can do Native. Or if it’s attached to the right DAC it can do Native. I’m still a bit confused because if I unplug the USB cable from the Stream to the Nova, in Roon settings there is still only the option to select DoS as the transport method.

I do have a Zen Dac that I use for headphone listening, connected to my PC. If I take this and connect it to the Stream and then the Nova, do you think I’d get Native this way, by adding the Zen Dac in between the Stream and Peachtree?

But as ZenStream is limited in PCM to 384, DSD via DOP is limited to DSD128 (DSD256 via dop need 768).

1 Like

Hi Ian sorry for the late reply, as I have been out with work today.
You don’t attach the Stream to a PC as it is connected via Ethernet/WiFi .

If you connect the Zen Dac to the Stream and then use the RCA outs to the Peachtree then you will get DSD. As stef has said it is limited to 384 PCM and DSD256 Native but neither if these have ever been an issue for me. At least it should give you something to benchmark, as it seems that quite a few devices require Windows only drivers to work, which does not seem right to me.

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Harris

Thanks so much for your helpful insight. I’m going to give that a try, attaching the zen dac in between the stream and Nova.

Is there anything in the stream settings I need to do to ensure native? Or once attached will the Native method just appear in Roon settings?

I’ll have a play around and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

I will send you a couple of screenshots tonight from my settings.
I think it was all worked out perfectly out of the box (about a year ago so I can not 100% say off the top of my head).

You will then need DSP to output DSD, but I will put a couple of screen shots to help get you there.

So some DACS work better with DSD than others, so my Matrix Audio Mini I Pro 3 is a Roon Ready all in one Streamer/DAC/headphone Amp works lovely with DSD but only does DSD128 from Roon direct but I can do DSD512 from USB. But I have a slight preference for DSD256 (or 128) as opposed to PCM 384 from the Zen Stream/Dac combo, so it is worth trying it and seeing how you get on.

1 Like

That would be amazing thanks @Michael_Harris
I’m not really up with DSP so any advice and screenshots are most welcome.

Off topic a little. I’ve been super impressed with the zen stream. I’ve come from a Bluesound powernode (which I loved) to the zen stream and Peachtree nova and the step up is incredible. The reason for swapping over to the stream was its ability to do dsd. I don’t have a large collect of dsd albums but it’s something I’m getting more into. Again off topic but how does your matrix sound compared to the zen stream in terms of dsd playback? Which do you prefer?

2 Likes

Yes I have a PowerNode and Zen Stream headphone setup. The PowerNode is great little Room amp but I also like the sound of DSD which the PN cannot do.

Still a great amp, though looking to upgrade again at some point

1 Like

So Ian as promised though a little late.
Pick your zone and then press the settings button

Then go to Device Setup

That will take you to your zone settings.

Scroll down to Sow Advanced and click on it and this is where you need to make sure your settings are correct.

So now you go to DSP and enable Headroom management and Sample rate conversion and set this to DSD as you see below.

When you then play music you will see it as below when you click on the signal path.

To top it off you should get blue lights on both the Stream (Left) and Dac (Volume) as below

Hopefully this should give you enough to get testing.
Off to bed for me now so have fun

4 Likes

Hi @Michael_Harris

Thanks so much for all your support and advice. Great news! I’ve got DSD Native up and running. I attached my zen dac to the stream and right away I was able to select Native as the DSD method. I’ve got the blue lights to indicate a native dsd stream, plus it shows in the signal path too. Now I’ve got to go and buy another zen dac to backfill in my study for headphone listening, but any excuse for purchasing new hi-fi gear is alright with me :wink:

The Peachtree Nova must not support native but I’ve reached out to those guys to check.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

1 Like

I thought it would.

Native Linux you have to check. Native from a Windows PC with drivers, yes. What is your top limit with that combination. With Windows you can get DSD 256.