IFi Zen streamer new thoughts

After using Bluesound NODE for last 6 months, a DAC upgrade is needed. NODE will be moved to another location. Are members still encountering problems/issues with their Zen streamer? ROON is on very robust Ethernet, 1G fiber optic to router (ORBI), have never had connectivity issues with NODE and Nucleus. New DAC probably a Denafrips ARES 12Th-1 or Chord Qutest, usb connection. Looking for a reliable streamer in price range of Zen. Any thoughts or opinions. Thanks

I’ve been using a iFi ZEN Stream connected via USB to a Chord Qutest for the past year, That is in turn driving the new battery powered Enleum HPA-23RM headphone amp with Meze Empyrean headphones. I actually prefer the sound of this setup to the headphone section of my dCS Bartok (at least with the Empyreans, the Bartok seems to “like” dynamic driver headphones more). On a wired network connection, the ZEN Stream has been really solid with Roon driving the Qutest. And, I can’t say enough about the current mode output section of the Enleum when driving planar magnetic headphones–it is simply a stunning next-level experience.

Would you please tell me what settings you are using in Roon to get sound from the Qutest? I have not heard anything from this set up. Thanks and best regards.

My setup is: Mac mini-based Roon Core (running macOS Sonoma) → Switched Ethernet Network → iFi Zen Stream (set to system mode 2 for Roon) → USB → Chord Qutest → Enleum HPA-23RM

With the IFi Zen Stream set into Roon mode, Roon will automatically see it under the Roon Ready area in the Settings → Audio menu. Just select it there and it should work without any additional settings.

BTW: Always turn on the Zen Stream before turning on the Qutest.

I use a MiniDSP Studio digital processor as a streamer. It is Roon ready. I use coax cable to a Chord Qutest. As a streamer it has fewer goodies than a, say, Blusound Node, but it’s big party trick is DiracLive 3.0 room correction……and headphone correction if you have their adapter to measure your phones.
If I am not using Roon feed to the MiniDSP then I can select its onboard options of Volumio, Tidal, radio stations or pull music files from my NAS server. Very versatile.
But it requires a bit of commitment to set up room correction for you listening space. Amazingly good sound stage and depth.

Had ifi zen stram for 18 months never had any problems with Roon. Tidal Connect on the other hand…

Running the Zen Stream as Roon Endpoint via Wi-Fi for about a month. No issues. Sounds great.

Mac Mini for Core → Zen Stream → Zen DAC v2 → Kinki Studio EX-M1 → Buchardt s400 mkII.

3 Likes