Impact of changing a service to the tags and Integration of the new Presto Music Streaming Service

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Good morning,

On March 6, 2023, Presto Music launched a classical and jazz music streaming service. The app is available on IOS and Android mobile phones and computers with IOS and Windows operating systems. Apple also launched its Classic app on March 27, 2023. And in May 2023, Qobuz will be available in Canada.

For the music lover, the availability of these three applications is a gold mine.

I have subscribed to TIDAL HIFI since August 2016 and to Roon since January 2017.

The main reason for my choice of Tidal is that the MQA format was available and it is the only service available in Canada supported by ROON.

With the availability of QOBUZ in Canada in May 2023, I have a new option with ROON.

First question

Since 2017, I have made significant use of « tags» to customize my library.

If I choose QOBUZ and stop using TIDAL, what happens to the albums in my library – will I lose all the information associated with an album?

Second question

I have been using the PRESTO MUSIC service for a few days and I find the navigation very user-friendly, the careful design and the integration of the content between the application and the company’s website very well integrated.

Like QOBUZ, it is the HIGH RES format that is offered rather than MQA.

For technical reasons, the HIGH RES format is not accessible because I am not able to connect my computer (MacBook Air M2) directly to my LUMIN D2 music server. I can listen to albums in Lossless format via AirPlay, but the maximum resolution is 44.1 kHz.

I am not in a position to compare the services of Qobuz and Presto Music at this time, but in addition to the qualities observed so far, two other factors militate in favour of Presto Music: the price of the monthly subscription and the method of remuneration of the copyright holders: calculation on the second rather than on the track which is much more advantageous.

In this context, is it possible for Roon to consider to integrate the Presto Music Streaming Service into its application?

The complementarity between Roon and Presto Music would be a great advantage for music lovers of classical and jazz music and undoubtedly a favorable factor to increase the number of Roon memberships.

Here are the links to the three articles in the series La musique classique en straming published in the daily paper Le Devoir on March 27, 28 and 29, 2023 :

Best regards,

Gaétan

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I didn’t this at the time but would prefer Presto over Qobuz, if it were integrated with Roon. I did the free trial soon after it was launched. It was pretty good if not perfect. I am sure it has improved since.

Presto is owned and run by people who are both enthusiastic and knowledgeable about classical music (and I am sure that this also goes for Jazz).