Importing CDs into Apple Music for Aiff, Apple Lossless, or Flac (ref#CL1IJW)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

I'm having trouble adding music to my library

Importing CDs into Apple Music to Aiff, Apple Lossless, or Flac. I have several hundred CDs. Is there any better way to get them into my Mac storage?

You want to import the files into Apple Music? Then you should use a format that is natively supported by Apple, like ALAC or AIFF.

But how is this related to Roon?

No it’s the only way I know to import CDs into digital format. There have to be other and better ways.

If you have already ripped the CDs to say FLAC, you could use dBpowerAmp to transcode them to ALAC.

1 Like

Randall,

Strictly-speaking, CDs are already actually in digital format - rather than analogue, like LPs etc.

Are you trying to ‘rip’ CDs specifically to have them play in Apple Music? If so, this page ought to help - but we’re not sure where Roon fits in.

If for Roon, then software like the excellent dBpoweramp will do that - and very well.

Is that perhaps what you want to do: ‘lift’ the digital files off your CDs in order to get them into Roon; and at the moment you’re having to put them into Apple Music first, then export them from there for Roon?

If so, a dedicated CD ripping program is the way to go.

Maybe it’d help if you’d explain in greater detail, please, what you want to do, and why. What’s on your mind when you refer to ‘…get[ting] them into my Mac storage’

2 Likes

Is dbpower amp available for Mac. I want as you said to lift the files of CD into Roon. Note that i have the multiple terrabyte external storage plus s Roon nucleus, i would be ecstatic to leave Apple Music in the dust

Nearly all my music is on CD s. The only music rippdd into Flac i have the original discs

Yes, you find it here. There is also a free trial:

2 Likes

@Randall_Sanders, FWIW, I rip my CDs to ALAC on my Mac in Apple Music. Basic tagging is OK, then I point Roon to my Apple Music Library and everything comes across fine.

Regardless of what ripping software you use, and dBpoweramp is very good, you will need to rip each CD individually. The only alternative would be an external ripping service where you send your CDs out for bulk ripping.

1 Like

Yes Dbpoweramp is available for the Mac.

I’ve used it together with my MacBook Pro and my good old Apple Super Drive to rip my CD’s into uncompressed FLAC last year.

1 Like

I’m prepared to do that. I went ahead and bought dbPoweramp for my Mac. Tomorrow I’ll finish setting up my OWC Thunderbay 4 RAID 5 drives then start ripping them to location on the RAID. What is so cool about the Thunderbay 4 is it connects to a USB-C port on the Mac and when needed can daisy chain in another enclosure. Thanks to everyone for the help. I had forgotten about dbPoweramp. But I hated ripping to Apple AIFF/FLAC/AIC just to get them digitized.

I also acquired a Pro-Ject turntable this week and with an accessory can copy all my vinyls into the Mac/Roon system also.

2 Likes

Happy ripping :smiley:

Before you get started do think about the format to which you rip. Make sure you use a lossless format. As mentioned by Suedkiez, ALAC of AIFF would be preferable if your are invested in the Apple ecosystem. For Roon it doesn’t make a difference, but it will give you the option to use your rips with Apple Music if you should ever need it. For example, if Roon is temporarily unavailable for one.
Years ago, I had to re-rip my entire collection due to switching from Windows to Mac, and I didn’t know any better than using iTunes :cry:

1 Like

Good luck. dbPoweramp was able to read about 95% of my discs. For the handful that didn’t work I have used XLD instead. X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X

1 Like

You could have converted them?

1 Like

I’ve learned that since, after coming across dBpoweramp. :roll_eyes:
But just like I didn’t know any better than using iTunes at the time, I didn’t know any better than re-ripping :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.