Importing Music Internal SSD

I have rock on an intel nuc8i7 with internal samsung 870 4TB storage.

I am attempting to transfer 4TB of music. I have a 1.2TB monthly xfinity data cap on my internet plan.

I figured i could remove the internal SSD, connect it to my Macbook via SATA reader, transfer the files, and then re-install it into the ROCK.

When plugging it into the sata reader it is unrecognizable. It does appear in DISK Utility.

1. Is one able to reformat it to exFAT or once re-installing, will the roon web interface wipe it and reformat it to whatever it uses?

2. would this issue exist if i was using windows?

3. how does one transfer large amounts of music at once? (Im aware that plugging in external drive to rock will cause the files to perform two network hops)

4. do most prefer external drives connected to their rock for this reason?

I am aware i could piece meal it over the course of some months. And transfer bit by bit, but i imagine that if i ever need to insert a new SSD i’d run into the same problem.

Not 100% OS savy so not sure if this is a basic question with a basic solution.

Just want to clarify, you have 1 drive for ROCK, or, you have 1 OS drive for ROCK and 1 storage drive for music. The ROCK OS drive cannot store music or be used for anything else other than just the OS.

ROCK is a linux and does not use exFAT for internal drives. I believe it uses ext4. The drive MUST be initially formatted by ROCK. Then it can be removed and mounted using the appropriate software. Not sure if Mac can do it natively.

Yes, See this post

Copy it over the network. I am not sure what the “1.2TB monthly xfinity data cap on my internet plan.” has to do with copy data within your local network. It shouldn’t have any impact on your xfinity data cap.

I certainly do. Also, you cannot backup the Roon database to an internal drive, so you will need an attached drive, or, network location as a backup destination.

It can’t but there are commercial drivers (with a free trial period, I think 30 days; works with Ventura as well despite the info in the preview below)

Copy it over the LAN, it does not take that long with a reasonable LAN (about half a day for 4TB over wired ethernet). Your xfinity data cap has nothing to do with this.

@Suedkiez By copy over lan, do you mean connect the external drive with the 4TB to my router or can i just connect external drive to computer and have computer hardwired to router?

Thanks, yes one OS drive and one internal. Rock has been configured and working fine, but finally getting around to copying my music over so wondering the most effective route… i assumed that copying it from computer to internal would require data usage and therfore cut into my plan…but maybe thats not how it nor the plan works.

I was going to go further, but, I think it is important to clear this up and for me to understand how you have your network setup and why you think that it would involve your data plan, before detailing anything more.

Assumed standard home network

ISP – router/switch – ethernet to Core
---------------|--------- – ethernet to Macbook

With neither the Core or the Macbook on Wifi, you would copy from the Macbook over ethernet through your switch and back to the Core. Even if your ISP is a cellular router, the data plan is for data coming into your network from the ISP, not data routing inside your network.

Is this how your network is setup? If not can you clarify the differences.

FYI, you might not have your Macbook on ethernet, but, you will need to set it up for this copy. Doing a copy over Wifi can be days.

Connect the ROCK to the network as normal, with the 4TB drive in it (assuming that this is a second drive). The ROCK shares the drive over the network by the SMB protocol. Connect to it from the Mac by following the instructions in the link I posted - the 4TB drive will simply show up like a folder in the Mac Finder. Copy the files onto it. (For best speed, both the ROCK and the Mac should use wired ethernet directly to the router or to a switch that is in-between)

And, even once you how to copy, there needs to be a discussion of how. If you do it wrong you will loose all your play counts, edits, etc.

Before doing the copy, you should disable all storage options, including the internal drive. Then do the copy.

If Roon “sees” two versions at the same time, it will treat the new one as new and create new database entries for it which means you’ll lose your edits, play counts, playlists etc. on the newly copied files.

You might reference