Improve Backup GUI

I’d like to offer a suggestion to (perhaps) improve the backup GUI by showing the status of all backups through the initial screen and simplifying the process of adding either a schedule or a manual snapshot. My idea is to use the backup location as the organizational unit rather than the scheduled and manual backup type, as it is today.

Some key features:

• The last successful backup for each location is shown (regardless of whether scheduled or manual).
  • The number of other backups available is shown, and should match what is shown if one selects “View / Restore”
  • If there is no schedule, offer to create one. Otherwise, offer to edit or view the schedule.
  • Suggest creating functionality to force a full snapshot (rather than an incremental), perhaps in a RoonBackups/snapshots/* directory. This snapshot should be available in the GUI to do a restore (based on the location).
  • The “Add location” button could be used to select an alternative data location, for example when doing a restore, or could be used to organize different shares or different folders.
1 Like

The motivation for this suggestion is a preference for a “single pane of glass” view of all available backups, all schedules, and all locations. In the present GUI it is possible to be confused by reported backup success (not always true, or at least accessible).

Another goal is to simplify the interface so that a scheduled backup and a manual backup are attributes of a backup location (more “backup now” and “backup at this future recurring time”).

Another useful feature would be to remind users if there is, in fact, no valid backup, and that they should create one.

@danny, @mike

I understand that this feature request is not a top priority given the range of possible work to be done:

• Roon Mobile: high effort, important selling feature to new users and a request of (many?) current users.
  • Fixing box sets: medium effort, high impact to subset of current users (notably Classical box sets)
  • Improving backup GUI: medium effort (or low), extreme impact for only a few (would improve odds at avoiding DB loss for > zero users)

But, I hope that improving the backup GUI makes the development list.

Nathan

I see a reminder if I’ve not backed up for 30 days I believe. Edit: I see you asked for this back in Oct '18. Clearly it’s been added since then, thanks.

1 Like