Improvements to UI for classical music

The Stables effect must be quite pronounced. In another thread four months ago I made Roon aware that the metadata of Malcolm Sargent’s Pictures at an Exhibition is wrong:
This was @joel’s response at the time:

No change since then. I have even changed the track names of the album to correspond exactly to the allmusic templates, even numbering the different Promenades, so they can be kept apart. Pictures still gets divided into three parts. Interestingly the Tidal and Qobuz versions of the exact same album list Pictures correctly in one piece. This would indicate that the metadata Roon have access to is not wrong.
I don’t want to be impolite, but I have my doubts about the structured process working.
There must be something fundamentally wrong here.

Interestingly I observe the following:
If I re-identify the tracks of Pictures (after having named the track title as it is on allmusic), Roon very briefly display the CORRECT composition, which is
Pictures at an Exhibition (Kartinki s vïstavski), for orchestra, orchestrated by Ravel
Before reverting to the wrong composition, which is cut in three parts.
I am fully aware that reconciling the metadata that comes from Qobuz, Tidal and Rovi / allmusic is no easy task. But something seems to be going wrong here.

And I can well imagine what it is that is going wrong here:
The Malcolm Sargent Pictures / Nights on Bald Mountain is NOT on allmusic,com (an extended 2 CD version is and it has the correct metadata). Roon has metadata for this album, but it is faulty. When I ask roon to identify the compositions on this album, it finds the compositions on allmusic and briefly displays them. Then it finds its own (faulty) metadata and displays that.
The only way to fix this problem is to

• remove the faulty (old) metadata
  • get Rovi to list the album on allmusic.com with the correct metadata

If there is indeed a structured process in place, this should be easily fixable in four months.

1 Like