In-app Advertising in a Paid Product is Unwelcome and Inappropriate

When I opened Roon today, I was presented with a modular dialog box showing an advertisement to buy a Roon Nucleus. I’ve never had that happen before. Advertising is a very unwelcome intrusion into a product that I’m already paying money for. Thumbs-down on this new behavior; it is a violation of the vendor-customer relationship we have already established. “Everybody Does It” is not an excuse.

As commentary on the ad content itself: A whole Terabyte? Wow, that’s like what, a $45 value? and you already know that my library is bigger than that.

Knock it off, guys.

95 Likes

I don’t see a problem for advertising for other Roon products - that seems reasonable. I wouldn’t feel the same way about ads for third party products.

5 Likes

I came here to say the same thing. Getting ads in Roon is really obnoxious.

24 Likes

How to disable the announcements pop-ups? - Support - Roon Labs Community

Though they don’t bother me as a marketing product in the email, as long as it’s related exclusively to the roon product (no third party) and if i have the option to unsubscribe, but they are utterly annoying as an in app user experience, so i really apreciate if I’ll have an option to disable/opt out.

If anybody interested, MusicDirect (Chicago based dealer) has the same offer with 1 year subscription included: Roon - Nucleus with 1-Year Roon Subscription & 1TB HDD (musicdirect.com)

3 Likes

My, how society has changed. First everyone is apparently quite happy with never ending software subscriptions, and now, they’re apparently also cool with with in-app advertising. I must be in the wrong film.

WTF! No! You already have my money. Leave me in peace and find another way to advertise your stuff. This is totally unacceptable.

33 Likes

I agree completely. Not cool.

16 Likes

Is this only targeting US based Roon users?
Anyway, not cool at all.

3 Likes

Most likely as you can’t buy it direct from anywhere else. That said this should not be happening.

5 Likes

I just hit the x to close the window.
I had no clue I was to be endlessly offended about a product placement.

Now I know.

10 Likes

Disgusting and totally unacceptable behaviour and values from Roon. Seem to be going out of their way to alienate customers. Adware, WTF!!!

9 Likes

I must have deleted it and forgotten about it so I couldn’t have been that ar5ed. I would be if it was often though.

@danny My topic How to disable the advertising announcement pop-ups in the Roon application? - Support - Roon Labs Community was a direct support related question: how can i stop this to happen? Anyway what should I understand form you closing my support topic: it’s not possible to do, we don’t want you to do that, we’ll consider this or what?

BTW have you ever considered that if you guys will show the same care and spontaneity in fixing the big lot of issues roon has, as you show in moderating this forum, you’ll have no need to moderate/edit/whatever the forum at all?

19 Likes
4 Likes

On my Roon Remote app, I just received Roon’s advertisement promoting an “Exclusive bundle offer” for a Nucleus plus 1TB HDD.

Let me be clear, I do not pay a steep annual fee to be pitched promotions via popups like I have installed some cheesy ad-supported phone app.

If this was a marketing balloon test, I suggest popping it forthwith. Seriously!

12 Likes

I could not believe my eyes. Will terminate my subscription if this continues. Unacceptable!

8 Likes

No frickin’ way!!! I didn’t opt in for this kind of crap! Stop it now!!!

14 Likes

@Joe_Buhl Yeah. It’s pretty shocking actually.

6 Likes

Advertising deals in your own product ecosystem isn’t soliciting. It’s smart marketing to its targeted members.

Some stuff isn’t worth getting excited about.

5 Likes

What’s worse is I have to see it on every single control device. Not cool at all!!

5 Likes

Who says? Making up ad hoc definitions and criteria for social phenomena is infantile and dull-witted behavior. See what I did there?

And some comments aren’t worth the time it takes to type them.

Thanks for the feedback though!

2 Likes