Inability to Add Additional Albums from TIDAL to Roon Library

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus+ (Op System Version 1.0 Build 227; Roon Server Version 1.7 Build 610; Roon Labs Software Version 1.0 Build 12)
System (Mac OSX Catalina running on iMac Late 2015; Roon Version 1.7 Build 610)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
QNAP NAS for file storage; Ethernet and Thunderbolt connections

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Meridian 218

Description Of Issue
There are many, many posts related to the inability to add albums from TIDAL into your Roon Library. It appears that there is a limit because you can delete some TIDAL albums and then add additional ones but at some point you can no longer add.

I recently (August, 2020) spoke with TIDAL Support and they confirmed to me that they have NO LIMIT for the # of album favorites.

This is a MAJOR problem and severely limits BIG collectors like me. Roon was made to have easy access to BIG collections but this limit results in a constant purging of less favorable albums so you can add ones you want.

PLEASE HELP!! Roon says there are no limits and TIDAL says there are no limits. SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM many of us are running into when adding more TIDAL albums to our Roon Library?

I have never seen Roon officially state anything about Tidal limitations or no limitations.

See this:

I would double check with Tidal. Last I investigated there was a slight workaround in that you could add albums to playlists and that did not count as a favorite album. Although you are limited to the total number of playlists, I think.

Hi @tomdee55,

Roon does not have a limit to the number of albums that can be added. In the past, though, we’ve found that there is a 10,000 favorites limit in TIDAL.

To confirm, when you’re unable to add favorites in Roon, are you able to add them in the TIDAL app directly?

No. I am unable to add them to either Roon or Tidal. When I try to add on Tidal, I get a message that says “Cannot Add Album to Your Collection” (something like that). Again, TIDAL support told me there is NO limit. Can Roon check with them to resolve this? I would think you guys are pretty big partners with TIDAL and they would be more responsive to you then a single user like me. If there IS a limit in TIDAL, can you work with them to get it removed? A limit creates a BIG negative for all of us music lovers with large collections. I will ask TIDAL support again and see if I get the same answer.

Interesting…I have never received an error message referencing a limit. I receive a message that just says “Cannot Add Album to Your Collection”

The post I referenced above, detailed that the message quoted occurs IN the Tidal application, not Roon.

Have you checked to verify how many albums you do have as Tidal favorites? If it is at or near the 10k mark, then that is probably the issue. If you are having issues adding things and you only have 2k Tidal albums in your Library, for example, then there might be something else going on.

Well, I really can’t speak for Roon since I’m just another user like you, but, I’m going to give it a guess. While Roon as a partner could ask, the limits posted by Tidal are not just pulled from the air. They are most likely determined by the base business model and/or specifications in the legal contracts Tidal has with the actual owners of the music (aka Labels). So, there might be nothing that can change.

Well I have completed my initial research with TIDAL and after corresponding with THREE different TIDAL “Member Support” reps I have THREE different answers about whether or not TIDAL has a limit! I am attaching my last correspondence to TIDAL in an attempt to get a real answer but based on the answers so far and especially based on how TIDAL is NO LONGER allowing me to add any albums to My Library I believe there is a limit and its probably 10,000. I will let you know what response I get to this last correspondence.

MOST RECENT POST WITH TIDAL:
I have have asked a question three times (to make sure I understood) and I have received THREE different answers! I am a LONG TIME TIDAL member and this lack of knowledge is unacceptable especially because the question is of great importance to me. I am using Roon with TIDAL being integrated as my Music Interface.
All of a sudden I was unable to add albums to My Library in TIDAL and I could not figure out why. I searched on the internet to find an answer and did not find a definite one but there were some mentions of a LIMIT that TIDAL has on the # of albums you can add to your Library. I did not think this was correct because it would severely limit those of us who have been long time members and have created large Libraries. So I decided to contact TIDAL Support to discover the truth.
Unfortunately instead of learning the true facts, I received THREE different answers so I still don’t know the facts! Here are the three answers I received: 1. (from Jayci)- “TIDAL is not setting any sort of a limit. In order to fix this please reach out to Roon, they would have to look into this further.” [I contacted Roon and they said they have no limits and any limit would have to be on the side of TIDAL…you can imagine my frustration!]. 2. (from Andrea)- “…I apologize for the inconvenience but the limit is 10,000 tracks and unfortunately we do not currently have a timeline for this to change”. 3. (from Benonia)- “we do currently have a limit however it is 9,999 for albums/tracks/playlists”. I was confused what this meant to I asked for clarification and Jamie responded with “There is a limit of 9999 of each category. You can have 999 albums, 9999 tracks, 9999 playlists.

SO, I would appreciate this being addressed by someone who truly knows the correct answer! I look forward to hearing back from a knowledgeable technician who knows the CORRECT answer to this important question.

Sounds to me the limit is 9999 albums, tracks, and playlists.

I think your right and obviously we’re gonna hit the Tracks limit first. I’ve complained to TIDAL. I feel that if you’re willing to pay $20/month for the service (now on sale for $99/year and renewing for $10/month at Best Buy) you should have unlimited Favorites. I just can’t believe in these days of cheap storage that a Favorites Indicator is that big a deal. Of course, all I get is the “system-generated” responses of “thank you for your input but we are not considering this change at this point”. But I “fixed” this issue by getting a subscription to Qobuz. Qobuz is “not aware” of any limits and even if there are, having TIDAL and Qobuz enables my collection to grow a lot more.

You can get Tidal for $8.33 per month ($99.99 annual) through Best Buy.

Good point, Jim. I actually recently renewed my TIDAL membership through Best Buy. Thanks for correcting the info in my post. However, my point is still my point…IMHO, TIDAL should NOT have a limit for Favorites. Just doesn’t make sense to me…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.