Inconsistent Album Indexing Under Primary and Album Artist Fields (ref#GYLAS1)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I don't like how the product works

I’m having issues with primary artist field and album artist fields under the album editing page. It used to be the primary artist field controlled what artist an album would be indexed under. The album artist field could be something different than the primary artist field, but didn’t control what artist an album would be indexed under. I thought that was pretty great.

but now, if there are different entries under primary artist field and album artist field, Roon is inconsistent as to what artist the album is indexed under. for example, with the album, relaxing with the Miles Davis Quintet, on the album editor page under the primary artist field I have Miles Davis. Under the album artist field I have the Miles Davis Quintet. Album page shows Miles Davis Quintet, but when I click on it, it takes me to Miles Davis.

Compare this to Dennis Charles’s album, captain of the deep. on the album editing page under primary artist I have Dennis Charles. Under the album artist field it is Dennis Charles IVtet. Here Roon sorts the album under the Dennis Charles IVtet. This is inconsistent with how the Miles Davis album example above is handled. It’s also also annoying because if I look under Dennis Charles, I won’t find Captain of the deep. I have to look under Dennis Charles IVtet.

I’d like to see Roon go back to having primary artist control how an album is indexed under an artist.

I would also point out that when Roon makes changes like this. It really hoses up how my meta data behaves and can be quite annoying and frustrating.

I would very much appreciate you folks addressing this issue. Thank you.

Still waiting for a response on this?

Hi @Peter_Zwiefelhofer,

Thanks for writing in about your issue, and thanks for your patience.

Could you please share a screenshot of your Roon Settings>Library>Import options for me?

This is still the case when I review things on my end. When I click Miles Davis Quintet, it takes me to the Quintet page. When reviewing the primary artist link, I do see both Miles Davis and Miles Davis Quintet. Is this an area you have manually edited to remove the Quintet?
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 1.56.04 PM

Can you please review your metadata preferences on both albums and share a screenshot?

Thanks!

Yes, I manually removed the quintet entry.

Looking for a response here.

Seriously, what’s going on here. Why can’t I get some help?

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

·

Describe the issue

23 days ago I posted a request for support regarding inconsistent album, indexing under primary and album artist fields. 9 days later, after second request, Benjamin requested more information from me. Now, 14 days after having provided that additional information I’ve still received no response. Am I just wasting my time? :(

My apologies @Peter_Zwiefelhofer,

Thanks for your patience. Based on the screenshots above, it doesn’t look like you have any metadata preferences set on either album. What happens if you select a preference?

If you haven’t yet, I would certainly share this over on our Feedback channel to ensure it receives the proper eyes + attention.

Hi @Peter_Zwiefelhofer,

One of our developers was able to take a closer look into this, and in short, I’m wrong with my above comment on your preferences.

With your question specifically on why Miles Davis (Quintet) and Dennis Charles (IVtet) are created differently, the issue is largely due to how the metadata is handled. TiVo has decided it appropriate to add a Miles Davis Primary Artist to the album for discography purposes, but not for Dennis Charles. It’s unfortunately out of our hands in cases like this.

That said, when you edited the Primary Artist, removing Miles Davis Quintet, the client will then revert and attempt to force what’s left – Miles Davis – into the “Miles Davis Quintet” string. What happens if you undo these edits? You may get better results.

Or, what happens if you also edit the album artist string to something like “Miles Davis / Miles Davis Quintet” and then add back the Miles Davis Quintet Primary Artist. The album should then be properly linked under both.

Further to this, the whole Denis (one ‘n’) Charles thing is a mess. There are credits for Denis Charles, Dennis Charles, Denis Charles IVtet, and Dean (!!!) Charles IVtet. I’ve asked TiVo to sort these out.

1 Like