Increase in duplicate artists and equivalencing issues in recent releases

Content you’re reporting an issue with

I find this a frequent occurance but this album can serve as an example:

RoonShareImage-638106759088092362

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Not in roon. The album is simply tagged externally by mp3tag.

Is the album identified in Roon?

Yes.

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local.

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

My tags are very straightforward for this album. So on disc 2 there is a Carter Family track. I am only picking The Carter Family as an example as I would consider them standard repertoire for this type of roots Folk but there are similar issues througout this set with other more obscure artists and it is also an issue I am finding quite frequently in other genres. My tags look like this:

But in roon “The Carter Family” is duplicated. Those are both functioning links but they have different album art, bios and discographies:

Directly below, you can see that The Williamson Brothers and Curry are also duplicated. This is what I mean when I say that the duplication of The Carter Family is not an isolated example. The second Willliamson (not mine), is misspelt with 3 letter “l’s”. One of the Curry’s is contemporay Pop/Rock and the other one is likely the correct one as it is Blues.

Again my tags are very straightforward and look like this:

I find this duplicaion to be a frequent occurance not only with local content but also with Qobuz content. There is nothing special about this Gringolts String Quartet example. I just happened to notice it at the same time as I was reporting the Carter Family example:

Both Gringolt Quartet links are working links. Even the bio on the Gringolts String Quartet version of the name says that both names are used:

Is the problem being caused by a lack of equivelencing of artists from two or more different metada data sources? I had largely given up reporting duplicates and equivalencing issues. Usually I just merge the two artist names but this has now gone beyond an occassional irritation to a frequent occurance and should really be addressed at source so that all users can benefit.

It is almost as if roon is picking tags from two or more meta-data suppliers, presumably so that the gaps in one plug the gaps in the other? Maybe this happens sometimes but what I see a lot of the time is duplicates instead. For me, this has been getting a lot worse in recent releases.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.