Individual negative delay for grouped Sonos Boxes

Hi All,
I have the following setup in my living-room:

• Sonos Amp connected to my analogue Amplifier
  • 2 Sonos Play1 Boxes at the opposite side of the the room

My analogue amplifier seems to have a little delay (~1sec) before the audio from the Sonos Amp arrives at the boxes → so the Amp is not playing synchronously with the 2 Play-1 boxes.

Since it´s not possible to add a negative delay to the boxes in the SONOS software itself, I wonder if that would be possible using Roon?

Many thanks
Jesko

I have Dutch and Dutch 8C speakers whose dsp tech and amps add a small delay so they could be out of sync with my other zones - a similar situation to yours. I’ve found no way to fix that other than to add a small delay to the other zones to align all of them. Not possible (or at least I’ve not found out how) to add a negative delay to a zone,

1 Like

Thanks Craig - being a Roon Newbie, let me ask where I can find the setting to add the delay of 1 sec to the Play1s? Appreciated!

For the zones you want a delay in, go to Settings—> Audio. Then click the gear symbol on the zone you want. Select Device Setup —> Show Advanced. Then set your delay in milliseconds in the Zone Delay box. If you want a second delay, you’d set it to 1000.

Thanks - doesnt seem to work for SONOS devices - there is no delay setting for these kind of devices in the UI.

Bummer. Don’t have Sonos so can’t see what is available. But not surprised. Roon has a number of different transport groups supported: RAAT, Airplay, Meridian, Chromecast.
Devices within those groups can be synced but not across groups. Pretty certain, Sonos is supported via airplay right? It’s odd that all Sonos devices aren’t staying in sync. I’m curious, are they only out of sync with Roon? Are they in sync with Spotify or another service? If it is indeed a Roon only problem, you should put a post in the Support Category so they can help.

I (fortunately or unfortunately) have a good number of Sonos Amps and speakers and have not ever had an out of sync issue.

@Craig_Palmer has a good suggestion to try it in the Sonos app and see if you notice any sync issues. Craig, Sonos has an API that Roon uses and calls it “Sonos Streaming”, it is not Airplay by default. Roon CAN use Airplay for some Sonos devices that support it (the newer ones) and it is listed separately under Audio.

@Jesko_Rubbel any other details about your setup?

Yes, here it is:

• Sonos Amp connected to my analogue Amplifier
  • 2 Sonos Play1 Boxes at the opposite side of the the room
  • My analogue amplifier seems to have a little delay (~1sec) before the audio from the Sonos Amp arrives at the boxes → so the Amp is not playing synchronously with the 2 Play-1 boxes.

→ There is NO sync issue within the SONOS system, the Amplifier is causing a slight delay and I wanted to explore if that can be compensated by Roon. However as I believe all SONOS speakers are using multicast, its propably not possible.

Odd. What is the ‘analogue amplifier’, and how are you connecting it to the Sonos Amp?