Inexpensive tablet for display?

Thanks this is helpful!!

Is the charging issue you point out a problem just specific to your tablet?

Any idea whether the Control4 app is available in the Amazon store? What about the control app for Denon receivers?

Thanks !

The charging issue could simply a matter of a slightly under powered charger. In any event it’s a minor issue.

As for the two apps they both appear to be available in the Amazon Appstore. Also keep in mind that the latest generation Fire Tablets can also run the Google Play Store so many additional Android apps are available. Sometimes an app from the Google Play Store will not work on the Fire Tablet but that’s to be expected when using a good but still inexpensive piece of hardware.

Looking at the Fire 10, and see that (today) Amazon has it “with ads” for $80 and “without ads” for $95. There was a reference above to “pinning” the Roon app and thereby avoiding the Amazon ads, but I’m unclear on what that means. And without having the gadget in my hands, can’t figure it out. Can someone explain that please?

As with others, I’m looking for a cheap, dedicated Roon remote that the rest of the family can/will use (without them taking my iPads).

1 Like

Can someone with tablet (especially the fire hd) confirm, that it is possible to sort your tidal music library, your tidal favorites by date added? This feature is not available on the mobile version of roon, and I’d want to use it without rdp session to my roon server…

Thanks!

The ads show up on the lock screen and are easily dismissed. Once the Roon Remote is opened one doesn’t see any ads and the notifications, if there are any, are very noninvasive, unlike on an iPad. Plus in “Setting -> Setup” there is setting “Keep screen awake” which can and should be set to “Yes” and the Roon Remote app will stay open until you close it or switch to another app. Just like on the Roon Remote of the iPad .

Yes on both the Roon Remote for the iPad and for the Fire HD the “Focus” feature is there, unlike on the iPhone app. I’m not sure about sorting one’s Tidal favorites since I don’t use favorites but you can sort your Tidal library by using “Focus” -> “Format” -> “Tidal” -> Sorted by Date Added"

1 Like

I got a Fire HD 10 and have managed to get the roon remote working no problem. However I can’t see anyway to set the tablet as a display view?

It doesnt appear in displays to choose it?

What am I doing wrong, I’ve enabled the tablet in audio but its not there in displays?

Have you loaded the Web Display URL into your web browser on the Fire tablet?

(btw. if you intend to use it as a now-playing display long term you may want to use a browser that can override the lock screen like Fully Kiosk Browser. But I’d get it working in the default Silk Browser or Chrome to start)

Thanks yeh I’ve got it going in silk but I was under the impression it would show up as a display like a chromecast would.

Using silk you have to change from the remote to a browser, rathet than it auto going to a display view? and then back to remote again if you want to use the remote.

also using silk it has the URL address bar across the top of the screen all the time.

Will try your lock screen browser now, altho I’ve set it all to not sleep

ok got the fully kiosk browser working as well now thanks…are there some guides out there about how to make a great setup with all this running?

Ideally I’d like the tablet permenantly on with google photos screen saver when not in use, then when I touch it it goes to roon controller to choose music, then when play music it goes to roon display.

maybe few other apps like if the nest doorbell rings it shows the camera

feel someone has surely done all this and posted their how to solutions?

Not sure if it’s exactly what you’re after, but you might want to take a look at Home Assistant

There are extensions for both Roon and Fully Browser and with some basic configuration you can setup automations to wake your Fire tablet and load the Roon ‘Now Playing’ screen in Fully Browser when music starts or stops playing.

Or you can just setup a custom Dashboard in Home Assistant (which you can then load into Fully Browser) with a Media Player Card to show you what is playing in Roon, possibly alongside a widget showing the status of your Nest Doorbell, Smart Thermostat or any other smart devices you have. Very much in the tinkering category, but if it’s the sort of project you fancy diving into it’s easy enough to seat with Home Assistant installed on a old PC, NAS or Rasberry Pi (if you can find one).

Slightly more technical and it requires some extra configuration, but you can even setup Home Assistant to control Roon via a cheap Ikea rotary controller (Symfonisk Sound Remote).

There’s a large HA community if you have questions or what to see what others have done.

1 Like

perfect thanks for your help, ill have a tinker