INFO: Very Affordable Intel Celeron NUC Endpoint

I just got a wireless card for my de3815 Rock doesnt see it :frowning: back to the dongle which works.

So sorry that didn’t work for you. The de3815 NUC seems to be a bit of a one-off and different species than most NUCs; and, maybe not totally supported by Roon ROCK for all uses (my my NUC6CAYH Kits, as they come stock, are not either as far wireless). But, fortunately, a switch out to the Intel AC 7265 dual-band wireless M.2 card, did enable wireless, almost effortlessly, for my first attempt at implementing wireless with my second NUC6CAYH. I thought I was going to get my 1st [modified with custom case] NUC6CAYH configured the same two days ago, but I fricked up one of the custom leads to the wireless card, so I’m still waiting on the arrival of another new lead.

Apparently, certain wireless cards and their implementations are very specific for uses in conjunction with specific NUCs in order to make them completely compatible with Roon ROCK. Danny (of Roon) seems to give confirmation of this in one of his previous posts – confirming that Roon does not want to go through all the rig-a-ma-roll of supporting any wireless card (and necessary drivers) that are NOT already supported with Roon’s list of supported NUCs for ROCK. I guess I lucked out with my (non-supported) NUC as an endpoint and choice of an alternate wireless card.

I will update this post once I get my new lead (was supposed to be here today), but I’m almost sure the Intel AC 7265 card will work with any and all NUC6CAYH Kits, as well as it worked with my original implementation with my first try. Can’t say for sure, until I test this other endpoint, but would be very surprised if I get any different results. Will report back.

The de3815 NUC seems to be pretty awesome in its appearance, form factor, and price point, but maybe not totally compatible with complete integration with the Roon ROCK NUC system as far as a wireless endpoint. I’m sure you rebooted your NUC and core, before you determined that wireless with a new card was a no go. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, but the dongle is an easy and great alternative. Hope it works well for you and to your liking.

I have had it for over a year wired it’s flawless. It will work wireless fine with a small USB adaptor as I tried that and it worked so it’s a perfect solution with this. Not tried to install on its embedded storage as it only presents it as 4gb when os is Linux so I don’t think this is enough to install not been brave enough to try.

A quick read suggests they work to PCIe or SATA only cores. If it is PCIe (6th gen NUC and later) it will work. 5th gen NUCs are a grey area.

Even cheaper & silent:

Comes with all parts embedded on the board, 4gb ram, 64GB eMMC
Just install Ubuntu and Roon endpoint.

1 Like

Hi this is just what i have been trying to resolve i have the Roon core installed on the recommended i7 nuc i did try connecting and hdmi from that to my AV receiver for 5.1 multichannel playback but for some reason my 2 subwoofers didn’t like it very much and made a noise .
Am i right to assume you install Roon Bridge on the NUC6CAYH connected to the AV teceiver via hdmi both of the NUC’s will be on a wired network any help advice would be much apprecited

1 Like

No. What OS are you using? It needs to be ROCK or Windows with appropriate drivers I believe.

1 Like

This would be a fresh install the trouble with installing windows is you have all that goes with it updates sign in and out everytime you use it which doesnt make it very practical

1 Like

Go with an install of ROCK then. It has been sorted to deliver HDMI properly. I think the issue is channel mapping.

2 Likes

But can you install rock on the NUC6CAYH

I don’t know. The key is if you can get around UEFI. If it will let you use legacy boot mode it should be fine.

Absolutely. I have two with ROCK up and running right now. Never had a single problem running them as endpoints. They are super quiet in comparison with the NUC6i3’s I have.

1 Like

Just as Papi indicates, I also have 2 NUC6CAYHs (one in an Akasa fanless case), but both with ROCK installs. They function solely as ROON-capable streamers feeding stereo DACs via USB and also feeding AVRs via HDMI for multichannel music. They work continuously and flawlessly. If you connect them wired to your Roon Network, there is no need to change their default wireless cards. Even though I have changed their default wireless cards to ROCK-compatible wireless cards, I keep their ROCK wireless capabilities disabled.

1 Like

Hi so this is install Roon core but dont sign into to it and your original signed core will see it on the wired network as an endpoint for multichannel 5.1 via hdmi convert dsf to pcm output to avr in the UK these are a little harder to get hold of most that are for sale are already loaded trying to get a bare bones one or a seond hand one that i can strip out is the NUC6CAYH compatible with the nvme ssd

1 Like

If i run into trouble hope some help here will solve :blush: thx

No problem. Check the specs though. I think they might be SSD only. Never actually held one so be sure or ask other owners here.

Hi you dont mention wheather you are running roon bridge on this nuc or another core please could you expand

Hi you dont mention wheather you are running roon bridge on this nuc or another core please could you expand otherwise it can get very confusing

In my case, I did a ROCK (Roon-Optimized Core Kit) installation on the NUC. ROCK (or the OS that ROCK’s run on) is basically the same OS that a Nucleus uses. There are pretty good instructions on installing ROCK in the Knowledge Base, ROCK Install Guide. You do not need to install Roon Bridge if you are doing a ROCK installation. The two Intel NUC6CAYH NUCs that I have serve only as endpoints/streamers (you do not identify them as your core). I have a more powerful Intel NUC7i7DNHE, that has the very same ROCK OS installed, but it is identified as my core (server). If you go to the Help Center on the Roon Labs website and type in “ROCK Install” in the search box, it will refer you to lots of helpful articles that deal with ROCK.

You do use one of the NUCs HDMI outs to your AVR for multichannel (I think it was the HDMI 0, but it’s been a long-time since I set the whole thing up). And, it is correct that multichannel .dsf will need to be converted to PCM. You can also use the NUC’s USB out to your DAC for stereo.

1 Like

Hi John thanks for clearing that up there is a new NUC6CAYH bare bones for £150 thats $210 on eBay so may wait for second hand one there is a WD 120gb 2.5” ssd and some corsair 8gb DDR3L sodimm memory before i buy those if anyone knows of better versions please let me know will let you all know how i got on thank you all for your help and support