INFO: Very low Auctioneers estimate on a high end system in the UK

If fancy an SME, DCS, Quad system there’s a very low estimate set of lots here

5 Likes

Don’t forget pocket watches, LOTS of pocket watches…

3 Likes

Just be careful, I have been to a hifi auction before (ex display stock from a dealer that stopped trading). By the time you have added the auctioneers hammer fee percentage (20-30%) plus VAT@20%, the prices were anything but a bargain, not even close. Many auctions also require you to collect or arrange a courier.

1 Like

You’re about right on the conditions for that one, though it suggested a 32% fee included VAT and auctioneer fees. Collection/delivery is your responsibility. There’s still a lot of room for a “bargain” on the estimate prices, but then there’s the issue of warranties if anything goes wrong. I’ve also bought from auctions and been happy but I was buying new stock at much lower prices…

1 Like

Yes the +30 odd percent is interesting!
It’s like eating in a restaurant in the USA, the menu price plus a huge percentage to allow the servers to also eat :smiley:
This collection in particular does look like it was a single system, and what a system! So I would be optimistic about condition.
I’m not bidding though I would love to go along and see what the outcome is.

2 Likes

I saw that one too as they are a local auction house for me. They are nice to deal with and I would also expect the items to have been a treasured system, but estimates do seem to be pitched low. At their last auction I watched a small Dutch oil painting estimated at £3,000 to £ 5,000 (r thereabouts, from memory), go for a stonking hammer price of £52,000, so before the auction house loading!

1 Like

Just register for the auction and follow along if you have the time. A speculative bid if £10 for each item should do it. You might get to see the final hammer prices then, if you have made a bid? You’ll need a small crane or engine hoist to lift that amp though, 56kg was it?

2 Likes