Information: NAS for Roon, QNAP HS-453DX

(Tony Lu) #1

Introducing the new HS-453DX: A stylish multimedia NAS with HDMI 2.0 for 4K UHD applications.
https://live.qnap.com/en/video/show/1555

• 1 x Rj45 10BASE-T
  • 2 x bays for 3.5 “or 2.5” drives (mechanical or SSD SATA)
  • 2x M.2 SSD SATA

(simon arnold) #2

Still not Roon spec for Processor. i3 is recommended minimum spec not Celeron

I’m running Roon on a Synology 716+ - it’s a 4-core Celeron with 8GB memory and an SSD for the roon db. Works like a charm even with 3 concurrent audio streams running. And I can tell it can tolerate much more based on the cpu/io/memory load during streaming :slight_smile:

(simon arnold) #4

Have you tried any DSP?

Only basic headroom adjustment. Generally I prefer a “flat” output with no dsp trickery, but I can certainly make some tests with 24-bit/192khz content in combo with DSP adjustments and see how that affects the load… Will report back :smiley:

Tested now with upsampling from cd quality 44.1 khz to 192khz, plus I turned on headroom management and enabled the equalizer. Memory consumption is slightly up - nothing much, and cpu is up from 4-5% to 8-10% - this is with just one stream running. Entire network is cabled.

(simon arnold) #7

That seems pretty good. What speed does it say in Roon. You click the blue dot to show signal path and it will give a speed of the processing in there.

(J. V.) #8

I have the 253be (same processor)

Speeds for cd qual flacs with headroom and volume limiter enabled are around 99x

For mqa 192 from tidal with first unfold on the roon core spedss are still 10-13x

(Fernando Pereira) #9

I’m not planning to replace my QuietPC NUC-based fanless Roon server, but I’m wondering about the HS-453DX with SSDs to replace my current 2-bay Synology NAS so that my home office setup is totally quiet. Any first-hand reports of the HS-453DX?