Initial Setup of Roon

I’m setting up Roon on my system. I would like confirmation that I’ve used the correct settings. I’m using a Mac Mini that is loaded with my music files. The Mini is linked to a router by ethernet cable. I’m streaming through a PS Audio Directstream DAC.

My Settings for the Audio tab in the Roon Settings window are:

• System Output Disabled
  • Built-in Output Disabled
  • Directstream DAC Enabled.

The DAC Settings are:

• Resync Delay 0ms
  • Max Sample Rate Disabled
  • Max Bits Per Sample Disabled
  • DSD to PCM Recommended and 6.0dB.

I’ve created a Zone for the DAC. I’m using a Bryston SP3 to control the volume.

Are these the optimal settings for the best playback? Are there any other settings that I should be concerned about?

I’ve been using Media Center 21. I read somewhere that some of the Media Center settings are carried over with the Roon installation. If true, what do I need to do to make sure my Roon install isn’t affected by my prior use of Media Center?

Thanks
Ron

1 Like

Hi @Ronald_Brown ----- Thank you for feedback and providing the details of your setup :clap: :+1:

Can you please provide me a screenshot of what your signal path looks like coming out of Roon? Furthermore, are you using “exclusive mode” in your playback settings?

-Eric

Eric, “exclusive mode” is not available using my settings. As far as I can tell, it’s only available if I enable the Built-in Output for the Mac mini. Here’s a screen of my signal path:

your DirectStream dac is Roon Ready, it is never shared. There is no point in “exclusive mode” since it is always exclusive.

So have I properly optimized my settings?

yup :slight_smile:

that’s one of the beauties of Roon Ready – nothing to set up, nothing to mess up (by default).

After installing Roon 1.3 B196, Roon no longer recognizes my PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Is it possible to go back to 1.2 until all of the kinks are worked out of 1.3?

Some people have needed to reboot devices around the time of the update. We’re looking into it, because this hasn’t happened before and we don’t know what would have changed–have you tried power-cycling the PS Audio DAC?

It’s not generally possible (both because of app store restrictions, compatibility issues, etc) to roll back Roon releases.

I tried power-cycling the DAC and the Core (Mic mini) without any effect. Any other suggestions?

No, @support, can you help @Ronald_Brown send us some logs and then find out if there’s any trace of a PS Audio device showing up in them?

1 Like

Hi @Ronald_Brown – I’d like to get a look at some logs as Brian has suggested to see if there are indeed traces of the PS audio device showing up in them.

Can you zip up two folders of logs for me, and upload them to Dropbox (or similar)? You can just post the links in this thread.

The two folders I need are:

If you can zip those up and send me a Dropbox link, we’ll look into this. Alternatively, if you don’t have Dropbox, let us know and someone from @support will send you information about uploading the logs directly to us.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble here!

-Eric

Link as requested. Out of frustration, I tried to go back to 1.2 (I had saved a downloaded copy), but without success, so I reinstalled 1.3

Ron

Hi @Ronald_Brown ----- Thank you for the follow up, confirming that I have received your logs and that they will be passed over to our developers in a timely manor for evaluation. We appreciate your patience while we look into this issue for you.

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: PS Audio DSD being recognized in Roon as: PS Audio CDMCM-210