Innuous Zen Mini as Roon Core - any good?

Hi Richard, Thanks for that. See the comment from @Jonathan_Smith1 in the post above. He seems to think it makes a big improvement. Innuous Zen Mini as Roon Core - any good?

If you get one, I’d be interested to hear your opinion with your setup also as you are using the DAC in your LS50W.

Cheers!

Hello Richard,

Re the LPSU I think this is a very fair review:

I read this before I bought my ZenMini and LPSU but, looking back with experience of the products, I think it’s spot on. Extra “acoustic mass” is the way the reviewer describes the impact of the LPSU and I think that’s a good way of putting it. Give it a whirl…

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, I’m going to take the plunge I’ll post my thoughts once it’s up & running.
Thanks for your reply Robert, don’t hesitate to set the zen mini as a core it’s easy to turn it off if you don’t like it. I don’t know how to transfer the library I’m afraid but if you are struggling get in touch with Lee at Strictly Stereo, he’s a really decent guy very helpful, very knowledgeable & knows about computer audio & streaming.

As predicted, I have set my Zen Mini as a Roon Core and I have no idea how to restore my Roon database backup. They don’t like to make it obvious or provide a guide from within the app. My music media is all there as it’s already on the Zen Mini. Anybody have any idea? It’s asking me to add a network share for the location of the backup I presume. This is beyond me. Roon is great but you need to understand networking at times which irks me I have to say.

Hi Robert I’m the same when it comes to things like that, it’s frustrating because it never seams straight forward. I strongly recommend you get in touch with Lee at strictly stereo. lee@strictlystereo.com tel. 07525 027187 he will have it sorted in no time. Don’t worry that you aren’t buying anything he’s not that sort of guy.

Richard

What do you think of roon on the Zen.

Hi Robert in the Room app under settings is a backup and restore area. You can backup to and external USB or Nas and then restore on the Innuous. As long as the Inuous can see the backup folders you should be good to restore

Regards

Mike

Hi
Thanks for the tip. However, that’s the area I’m struggling with. I can’t get it to see the PC (where my previous Roon Core server software is). Even though the PC can happily see the Zen Mini. I have backups on the PC plus on the OneDrive cloud server and the ZenMini itself! Can’t get it to access any of them. So frustrating.

I don’t like it at all. Can’t get it to work.

Thanks for the offer. Sounds like you have a better Audio provider up there than I do where I am. I’ve wasted most of Sunday trying to fix problems with Roon. This is why I have been putting it off. It was a struggle to get it to work with my PC at first but once it was working it was great. That’s the problem with Roon, you need to be some kind of Networking expert to get it to work. I’m sure the issue isn’t with the Roon software but with me and my home network. However, other systems are much easier to use and setup, if ultimately not as good as Roon. I wish they would make it easier to setup.

I may have to take you up on your offer. I hope Lee doesn’t mind? There seems to be absolutely zero support from Roon for their own system. Makes me worry that they may not be long for this world. It’s not exactly a cheap system and difficult to setup. I suppose they will ignore all support requests about Innuous as a Core as they say it won’t work properly, however, all I can find is that the processor isn’t powerful enough for Roon’s DSP. I would just like to set it up and restore a backup. So frustrated.

Posting in Audio Products forum does not raise Roon Support. You have now made a post in the Roon Support forum and should get a response Monday.

1 Like

Instead of slaaging off Roon Support on a Sunday night ten minutes after posting and chasing after pointless power supply upgrades, host your core on a machine that meets minimum spec.

Also, avail yourself of the Knowledge Base to avoid future disappointment.

Don’t stress about it Robert, get in touch with Lee he will get you up n running

1 Like

Thanks Richard. @anon55914447 says it’s way too underpowered. But I’ve read lots of posts from happy campers using it as a Core. Kind of why I wanted to ask actual users first. Then ran into probs. with networking which (IMHO) Roon overcomplicates for the average Joe like me!

Interesting opinion. I was thinking that myself until I started reading about how much of an improvement it makes when compared to a similarly priced external DAC. I would much prefer to spend money on Audio equipment rather than a PC/Mac I will never use for anything else. Also, it’s as much about having another thing to manage while it’s cluttering up space better utilised for something else, like a plant.

I wasn’t “slagging off” Roon support, I was just wondering how to get hold of them/if there was any. Seemed to me there wasn’t any official support. Now I know they live in the user forum (but not at the weekend). Did not know that.

If you have your library on the PC maybe the firewall is stopping you from seeing it or you don’t have permission to see it.

Is it located in a folder that is shared on the network?

Can you back it up to an external drive that you can plug into the other server to restore to?

Having a read things don’t seem clear.
1/ where are the original music files?
2/ where is the database originally?
3/ where is the database backed upto?

So if your leaving the files where they are the new server would need to be able to access that network share.

Same applies to the case base backup, if you leaving the files alone , Roon on the new server needs access to the network share where the backup is held so you can select the latest backup.

I don’t know how these servers work, with your knowledge level you maybe better moving the files to the new server and creating a new library.

Either way you really also need to think about a back up strategy.

On the Zen Mini Mk3 Hard Drive

On the PC along with the Roon Core/Server

Multiple locations a) PC b) PC/OneDrive cloud storage c) Zen Mini Music folder

Tht’s exactly what I am trying to do. Access the PC via Roon so I can restore the Roon database backup.