NUC11TNHi7, Roon OS 1.0 build 259, Version 2.0 build 1353

Networking Gear & Setup Details

On ethernet, connection fine, no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

USB connection to PS Audio DirectStream MK2 DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

None currently

Description of Issue

I installed RoonOS on my M.2 SSD ( Crucial P3 Plus 2TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD) which all went fine and everything was working as far as connecting to Qobuz and streaming music to my DAC. I realized I had a problem when I went to add music files to the SSD and reading that I needed to install RoonOS on a different SSD than the one used for music storage. My question is- what is the best course of action from here? I purchased a separate SSD ( Samsung SSD 256GB PM991 M.2 2242 42mm PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe) but I’m not sure where to start. I’m worried that if I install Roon on the new SSD, I still wont be able to use my Crucial 2TB M.2.

Thank you!

The NUC11TNHi7 only has one M.2 slot so you are correct - you cannot fit both M.2 SSD’s in the NUC.

If you want to configure internal library storage on the NUC running ROCK, you will have to use a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

Also, with ROCK installed on your 2TB M.2 SSD, you will not be able to utilise all of the space on the SSD so you may as well install ROCK on the smaller Samsung 256GByte SSD.

If you have no other use for the Crucial 2TB SSD, then it is possible to get a small USB connected NVME caddy which will allow you to use the 2TB ssd as an external USB drive connected via USB to your NUC. You will need to delete all of the partitions from that drive and reformat it first.

A suitable caddy might be something like this one UGreen USB M.2 NVME caddy

Please note that this is not a product recommendation - I have no experience with this particular device.

For ease of use, and I think a fair few would agree that, it would be a better option to keep your music on an external device. So your 2TB SSD in a small caddy would be perfect. I have a 5TB HDD (I see no point in an SSD for music) and this is connected to my IntelNuc10 via USB.

1 Like

OK thank you! If I use my current 2TB ssd with RoonOS already installed, will that be a problem in the caddy? Do I need to hook it up to another PC and wipe it first?

Thanks again.

W.R.T. the 2TB SSD, you should be able to put in the USB caddy and then connect it to a computer to delete the existing partitions and create a new one. Make sure that you format it as exFat (for maximum inter computer compatibility).

I don’t think that there will be a need to install it into another computer.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.