Installing ROON on QNAP NAS

Hi Sanjiv,

The pages you posted refer to UPnP network protocol which Roon does not support (there are discussions on the forum why this is) and unfortunately there’s no mention of Roon Ready or RAAT support.

Looking at the Roon Knowledge Base the dCS Rossini is not listed as supporting the RAAT protocol thus Roon will not be able be able to communicate to via the network (other than Airplay).

Airplay (as discussed) is limited to standard resolution streaming, so to get the best from the dCS Rossini you need to connect Roon to it via USB. (If you want to use ethernet then than a network bridge that supports RAAT would be required.)

You could try lobbying dCS to see if they have any plans to support RAAT in the future, I’m sure a lot of users would like this. Let us know what the say.

I can see Rossini in Roon’s supported devices list (even Roon- inhouse tested :wink: ) https://kb.roonlabs.com/Partner_Devices_Matrix .

Sanjiv I guess you should check if there is some guide or firmware update enabling Roon on the Rossini available on the manufacturers web page or check with dealer.

It is listed, but as an USB device not as a network (or RAAT) player… :frowning:

ouch, sorry for confusion i’ve missed that :confused:

Does anyone know how to physical install an SSD drive into a Qnap TVS471?
I thought you would go in a bay, but it doesn’t, it’s a rather small oblong card.
Thanks. Chris

What kind of SSD did you buy?
Most SATA SSDs have an enclosure like a regular 2,5" HDD.

I just googled for a picture and it should look like this:

But SSDs are also available for different connection types. What you describe sounds more like a M.2 SSD card.

Thanks, that was what I was expecting. This came on the same order as the Qnap unit and it’s an open card. I’ll have to email the supplier.

Yes, just checked, it is an M2 type.

Perfect – now all you need is to buy a NUC… :wink:

Ok, my supplier has sent the incorrect SSD and is going to swap it out for the correct type.
This has stalled my project as I can’t progress untill I have the SSD drive to fit into my Qnap TVS 471
Frustrating, but life… Ahhhhhhh

I set up roon core on my QNAP TS-451 8GB RAM and external SSD Drive for RoonServer and it works without a flaw, very happy, i suppose CPU Power is not really the bottleneck since its stable on 12% even Roon is still analysing the library, of course with more sharp settings on the Roon side i could drive the CPUs to 30%.

I use the iPad as Control and the Auralic Aries or my Pioneer VSX-LX55 as Roon Endpoint.

best regards,

Armin

That’s pretty much my experience with the same config, albeit my SSD is in one of the bays.

I think what a beefier CPU gives you is more raw horsepower running very large libraries and a snappier search experience. But in day to day operations, the Celeron CPU is perfectly viable.

Finally I am happy to report my Qnap TVS 471 i3 is working perfectly.

Not being an IT expert I got a professional in to supply me quality 4TB Hard drives and set things up so I have mirrored drives and back up with Roon on an SSD. 4GB Ram is plenty.
I also have an uninterrupted power supply to shut the QNAP down nicely in the event of a power outage or protect from a surge.

The whole system is hard wired on CAT 5 and 10/100 switches to my Meridian MS200’s controlled with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A and a Windows 10 laptop I use for Ripping and upload etc with DB Poweramp.
The Samsung is a bit slow on ‘Discover’ due to its spec but works well otherwise.
This wasn’t cheap but nothing in quality Hi Fi is and I see it as a long term investment in accessing my music.
With this project out of the way and stable I can just enjoy the music as I save for further sonic upgrades.
Chris

2 Likes