Installing Roon Server on a Vortexbox v.2.5 & Fedora 25

Hi,

I am having trouble installing Roon on my Vortexbox. I have loaded cifs-utils and ffmpeg but when I try and install Roon it starts to unpack but errors out. The following is the error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a total noob when it comes to Linux.

Thanks,

Chris

Do you want to install RoonServer on this machine? [Y/n] y

Downloading RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2 to /tmp/tmp.sLSp9paVwY/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2

######################################################################## 100.0%

Unpacking RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2…tar (child): lbzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Looks like you need to install bzip2.

Should be a package you can install, not sure which package manager it uses. Fedora? rpm I’d guess.

1 Like

Thanks, Paul.

I wondered about that but was confused because it didn’t error out immediately. Instead, it looked like it had had unpacked everything when it threw up the #### !00% message.

I’ll give it a shot and see what happens.

Cheers!

It is confusing. I think that is the download progress indicator.
Hopefully installing bzip2 makes things go smoother.

“Confusing” is an understatement! I definitely think you are correct regarding the missing bzip2 file. What is also confusing is the error message lists lbzip2. I have tried to install bzip2 but with no success. I feel that I’m close albeit getting there through blind luck.

I think you’re right, lbzip2 is a parallel bzip2 because bzip2 wasn’t working . . .?

Good luck. I’d remove bzip2 first.

Thanks for the lead.

I finally downloaded the correct version of lbzip2 only to find that I cant compile it because I don’t have a C Compiler on this system. Would you know where to find a ready compiled program that will run on Fedora?

I do not. It looks to be a fedora linux. You can probably install gcc, or look into a different distro. It looks like you wish to do a bit more than they give out of the box.
Time to tinker more.