Integrating Other Software with Roon

I just learned about Out of Your Head software in this thread here: Does Roon play 5.1 FLAC files?
What this software does is to allow you to listen to multi-channel audio over headphones with DSP generated surround profiles. I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks awesome. Roon is my multi-channel playback software, but I’m trying to figure out how to use it with OOYH. From the thread linked above, it seems that OOYH shows up in Roon as a Virtual Audio device in Roon. But from the way it appears in the screen shot on that thread, I would have to connect my headphones to either the computer running OOYH or connect a DAC/Headphone amp to that computer. I have a great headphone listening station already set up with Roon feeding a microRendu connected to an OppoDigital HA-1. I really want to use that setup with OOYH and Roon. Is there any way to make that happen? I don’t know enough about Roon’s device management to figure it out.

1 Like

I guess maybe I made this too specific to OOYH software, so I’ll ask it more generally: how is it possible to send Roon output to other software before it hits a networked endpoint. I think people are doing this with HQPlayer and Dirac, so I guess it must be possible, but I can’t figure out how. Can it be done?

Depends on if that other software is creating and emulated audio device on your Mac/PC. That’s what Dirac does. HQPkayerbis a networked endpoint in itself.

Btw, We are talking to OOYH and Dirac about DSP functionality in Roon.

3 Likes