Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

Well, I guess we’re all hoping this will happen.

However, I’m not holding my breath.

There are two pathways, I’d think. The best for Roonies would be to have integration the same way Tidal and Qobuz are integrated. That is, Amazon would have to expose a service API to Roon so that Roon could integrate Amazon Music into its app.

Has Amazon done this for anyone else? I haven’t heard about it, if so.

The situation with Amazon is different than it was for Tidal or Qobuz. They needed users, and could see synergies with Roon’s affiliation with high-end audio companies. Amazon has oodles of users built right in, plenty of other revenue streams, and I can’t see why they would want to support Roon specially with a service API.

Another path would be to integrate RAAT support into Amazon Music, so that it could play directly to RAAT-capable endpoints. I don’t see why Roon would support this, as it would hijack their endpoints for the use of the Amazon Music app. Do you even need a Roon license to stream to a RAAT endpoint?

I think the best we could hope for is that RopieeeXL might grow the ability to support Amazon Music at some point, just as it has integrated Spotify. Or that Amazon decides at some point to support Chromecast endpoints with HD.

1 Like