Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

Almost everybody here thinks integration of Amazon into Roon is a fine idea.

Almost everybody, that is, but Amazon. They don’t need Roon, and that is a fact.

1 Like

You may be right but they have allowed Sonos,Marantz, Bluesound and others to integrate their music service. I realize that Roon is different in that it would require more from Amazon but I don’t see them saying no .

2 Likes

I’ve said a couple of times that roon Amazon integration would probably never happen, but now I’m beginning to wonder.

Roon’s radio silence on a topic of such strong interest suggests they may be under an NDA and can’t say anything right now. Could be they are in preliminary/exploratory talks or that an actual project is underway. Otherwise they could put all this to bed by simply saying Amazon integration is not on the roadmap at this time.

So maybe no news is good news?

1 Like

I like optimists ! LOL. I hope you are right. My biggest concern is that as Amazon gets their music service on more devices they will knock Tidal out of business. Qobuz simply does not have enough of the music I like in their library.
What makes Roon so great in their seamless integration of your music library and a music service.

3 Likes

The integrations on your list are a walk in the park compared to the effort required to integrate with Roon. Me, I would be happy to have AZ HD as an option, but I remain skeptical. Didn’t care much for Tidal, even with the veteran’s discount. I am happy with Qobuz, but I would save 50% in a quick minute. I hope it happens, but life goes on either way! Now, if some outfit would start streaming 5.1 …

@davidh

My only experience streaming has been with Tidal using Roon so I don’t know how Sonos, Marantz, Bluesound and others integrate streaming into their offerings.

I found this Sonos Status Page which points out just how different Sonos’s offering is. Roon currently integrates 2 streaming services into their database driven model, Sonos’s status page lists the status of 132 systems they integrate with. I know the integration is different but still integrating with 132 other vendors is impressive.

I would like for Roon to integrate with more streaming services primarily to increase their odds of long term success. I only need one streaming source but I do need a source. I currently have 1,193 albums in my library and 1,109 of them are from Tidal.

Unfortunately I’m not too optimistic when it come to Roon’s chances of being able to get the big boys ( Amazon, Apple, Google, Spotify ) to work with them. I hope I’m wrong.

Tim

If it in any way reflects how Qobuz & Tidal are integrated into my bedroom Yamaha MusicCast WXAD10 streamer, then it’s pants.
IMO NOTHING can hold a candle to Roon.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a big difference between an interface v. integration.

2 Likes

Pretty much what I assumed but but since most of the devices in question get controlled by an app running on another device I assume the app’s UI can offer some options although not likely up to what Roon offers leveraging its local database.

Tim

Roon is not willing to accept less from their integration than what they do for Tidal and Qobuz. They’ve said they’re willing to integrate with any other service if the service is willing to provide them what they need.

This could be the stopping point for Amazon. They seem willing to have integration with other services but I doubt they’d do anything special for roon. If they have the info roon needs, I’d think Amazon would agree. Benefits Amazon with little effort on their part. If Qobuz can do it, Amazon should be able it.

1 Like

Or it suggests that Roon is not answering this thread the same way they are not answering many other threads. Just not answering. Roonies used to be regular posters here as frequently and just like other users; that is not true anymore and something has changed. It may just be an evolution without intent, but it has changed.

I think Roon is going to need to drop some of its integration requirements IMHO. It is enough for some users to be able to play through Roon’s audio transport without using the Roon interface at all, and it is enough for others to simply be able to add a track from Amazon or Spotify into the queue or a playlist. All the rest is wonderful, but it isn’t a requirement for productive use of Roon with another streaming service. Unless Roon pulls off an actual deal with Amazon (which likely requires that Roon sell its soul), that style of API integration may be all that can be done, and that is better than not IMHO.

2 Likes

I think roon dropping their requirements would be them selling their soul. They don’t want to just be a pass thru for a streaming service. They want to provide a certain user experience.

I believe they’ve had opportunities to integrate with other services but always stuck to their guns. Even with Qobuz, it took several years but finally both got what they wanted.

If Amazon has what roon needs, I don’t see why they’d hold this up. They’re not as concerned about their user interface as Apple or Spotify.

1 Like

I am not too impatient about integration but I am disappointed by the lack of feedback that I am seeing from Roon. Any comment that recognizes the interest or concern of the users would have been appropriate even if they could make no commitments. If this radio silence been the norm when I bought my membership I would have held off on making the purchase. The lack of feedback does not breed confidence in the investment.

1 Like

It seems to me that we’ve been here before when Qobuz came on the scene. Lots of posts asking for integration with Roon and total radio silence from Roon Labs until very late in the day. And here we are again; this time with Amazon. Doesn’t mean that there will be an announcement in the future, of course, simply that radio silence is the norm, however much we might wish otherwise. I’ll just carry on listening to the music.

1 Like

Does your Roon service provide you with everything it did the day you bought it?

I’ve also send the request to Amazon on “Tell us how we’re doing” on the WebUI
not sure that would do anything for a huge company like Amazon.

It isn’t what Roon needs that matters much to Amazon, IMO. Rookies are a relatively small niche market to them: nice to have, but not worth the time and effort compared to other markets.

I hope I am wrong. Bet I’m not.

I could have sworn with Qobuz they at least responded at the time that they couldn’t comment. Not completely ignoring the comments all together. Roon didn’t announce Qobuz integration until it was released. However, Qobuz screwed up and announced it months in advance only to be delayed over and over.

Everything except responsiveness and, as a result, confidence in their future. I am not attacking the product. Still love it. I am concerned that failure to respond to users, even with “we are working on it”, is normally not a sign of a healthy future. Lets hope we hear soon.

I truly don’t understand all these “why hasn’t Roon commented” posts. Roon hasn’t commented on all sorts of possible engagements. They haven’t responded to possible mergers with Apple and itunes. They haven’t responded to joining forces with jRiver or Plex. They haven’t commented on lots of things that could be possible. In my view, they have no obligation to respond to speculation. And I’m a lifetime member by the way.

p.s. I have no issues with Amazon. I’m an Amazon Prime member. Mostly related to shipping packages, but I like the side benefits of Amazon Prime free video.

2 Likes