Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

These subscriptions can get out of hand!

1 Like

Count your blessings!

£20 or around $25 US (at current rates) per month for the premium Tidal subscription in the UK.

1 Like

I think Amazon is $12.99 add on for HD if you have Prime already. Qobuz I paid for yearly so don’t recall what it worked out to but yeah probably about $12-13 now that I think about it. That’s a great deal on Tidal, but I just don’t have enough ime to listen to that much music! And yeah, with a Netflix, Hulu, and god knows what else sub it does add up.

1 Like

In the US, Best Buy has Tidal Hi-Fi for $99 the first year, $120 after that.

I dropped Netflix in favor of Tidal and Qobuz.

4 Likes

There would be some serious uproar in the family if I did that, though these days I find Amazon and Hulu (FX) kicking butt on most of Netflix’s offerings.

Other than maybe a handful of titles that Tidal has that Qobuz doesn’t I just didn’t see the point of having both. I still buy the occasional download if need be (plus it puts a whole lot more $ straight into the artists hands, esp bandcamp Fridays).

1 Like

There’s heaps of good music not available on Tidal or Qobuz, i.e. old jazz or classical albums.
I would accept the lower quality, probably not relevant for older recordings anyway.
Amazon Music would be a perfect addition.

People forget Qobuz is not available everywhere yet and nor is Tidal. But Amazon is no alternative to either as they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to hifi implementation or infact anythjbg to do with SQ as its all just ruined by the system output of the pc or device as its not bit perfect.

1 Like

“Variety” is the first thing that comes to mind. Perhaps there are others that don’t subscribe to Qobuz or Tidal? We, meaning Roon subscribers, can’t tell anyone else what they should be streaming…

If they want to stream using Roon, they have to use what is available with Roon. That’s Tidal and Qobuz.

I never told anyone anything about what they should stream. Stream what you like I say, but if you use Roon it won’t be Amazon unless they give Roon the full integration that is required to give users the seamless Stream/Library experience.

Everyone should just stop for a second, and scroll back to the top. Everything has been said already, over and over. Hopefully, Roon is working on expanding their streaming offerings. But who knows!

1 Like

Yes, that is a problem. But as I see it, if everyone were to blindly capitulate to Amazon, then other streaming platforms would not bother to try and enter those markets, and could very well go away in the ones they are already established. Just be careful what you wish for is all I’m saying.

1 Like

Amazon is huge and is not going away. Deezer is in 180 countries and is coming on strong. Tidal is having problems and MQA is not catching on and may not survive in the long term. Qobuzz and Spotify seem to be in a good position now. And now hardware companies are integrating their own versions of software. Auralic Aries G2 uses Lightning DS. The market has to shake out. Roon needs to integrate more if it wants to be the umbrella app for everyone. I would suggest they license Roon to hardware vendors to put it under the covers. Companies like Auralic should be using Roon, not creating their own app. Just my opinion.

Thanks

I think you will find that is pure speculation on your part. MQA is growing nicely with more new releases all the time.

I personally do not want Amazon everything, I remember the old adage “Observe the masses and do the opposite”. That thought has served me well so far.

3 Likes

What I meant is that MQA is not growing with other music services plus you have to be sure your hardware can handle MQA. Tidal should be charging $10 a month for MQA to build their subs, then little by little increase the pricing. I don’t want Amazon everything either but Roon must become more ubiquitous to survive. I’m advocating Roon partner with everyone not just Amazon. I remember when I thought beta would become standard over VHS.

Thanks

That’s also not correct, MQA is fully backward compatible with everything in the hardware world and its adoption would blow the MP3 quality out of the water even un decoded. You only need an MQA DAC to fully unfold it and most DAC’s especially in the portable world seem to support MQA as far as I can tell. This also puts pressure on other streaming providers to support MQA.
I think you will find there is a lot going on behind the scenes with regard to this although I have no inside knowledge on and could be entirely wrong.

Thanks, it’s all speculation and opinion right now. Have a great weekend.

BTW if you play vinyl check out a good Tone Poet Blue Note jazz record.

2 Likes

If I am not mistaken each additional streaming service requires a lot of development work. Roon requires a download of the streaming database ( or the like) to create the slick interface.

There are 2 pitfalls, that actual work and more so the willingness of the streaming service to allow that access.

What do we the users gain. To me Tidal gives me virtually anything I want, I think it’s failed to find an album a mere couple of times. Keep it simple. Should Tidal or Qobuz fold then replace them but until then put the dev effort into other more pressing things.

1 Like

I would rather see Roon expand their geographic reach by adding the best streaming service available in areas where they want to expand and are not serviced by Tidal and/or Qobuz. That would go further toward securing Roon’s future than adding a 3rd, less than excellent, service where we already have coverage with Tidal and/or Qobuz.

2 Likes