Intel NUC died out of nowhere

Sorry, there is something that I don’t understand… :thinking:
I bought the components to build my ROCK using EXACTLY the products as specified in the official Roon guide here https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit but now I read here that I should buy a “better brand of SSD”…

Niklas has bought the component as in your spec too and is facing problem that seems could come from M2 SSD not reliable enought, but why If he bought respecting the specs now I have to read that is better a Samsung EVO? if a Samsung EVO is better (more reliable) as is not much more pricey why not to put only that in the spec to reduce the risk to face problem (and waste life time) ?

is the M2 in your spec suitable to run expected reliable life and live user the possibility to spend time in listening music instead of unpleasant computer problem solving?

and I would like to quote a question from Nikla about the M2 not listed in the official Intel Compatibility Tool that seems to be still without answer: “why is this then recommended by the roon folks for the ROCK?”

I would like to better understand, thks in advance

1 Like

Specs and reliability are completely different and unrelated concepts. If you buy a car that has all the advertized features and can reach the advertized speed, it meets the specs. Whether it breaks down in 6 months has no relation to the specs.

I believe some brands are more reliable than others, that is subjective and not (usually) quantifiable - so it’s normal for different people to have different recommendations. There are certainly others who have different beliefs/preferences regarding which brands are more reliable. Yet there are others who attribute reliability to luck instead of brand, and I cannot disagree with them. I use a cheap brand of smartphone that many will consider to be bad, but it works for me ok (after some initial firmware troubles).

There is no guaranteed reliable life of computer components. Most people have not heard of Intel CPU dying in a non-overclocked properly configured setup, but I actually came across two in the last three decades. Some components may have MTBF values but they are practically meaningless for the end users. You cannot run away from unpleasant computer problem just as mankind cannot avoid illness.

1 Like

let’s talk about suggested configuration for NUC to run ROCK by Roon people and not about car (or I missed I’m in another forum? :roll_eyes:)… the point here is in the word “suggested”, one thing is to say that any M2 SSD, with defined minimum specs, is suitable for this application and another one is to have a link direct to Amazon page with a specific item… a guy like me in the second option think that is a reliable tested configuration, and as I trust people from Roon I think they point to a product that doesn’t “breaks down in 6 months” as they perfectly know we all customers buying Roon want to listen music and not, instead, play with computer hardware… for sure they are not the owner of the SSD factory or involved in quality control in that SSD brand but I belive they choose a product not just because it fit the minimum spec, the NUC is a perfect example as it is not the most cheap compact computer in the market, probably one of the most expensive but reliable as, like we all know, with Roon has to run 24/7… togheter with the M2 installed inside

waiting for Roon reply I will continue to consider the “linked” M2 SSD a reliable one (not for expedition to MARS eh… I know what MTBF means too) as linked by them… or it is time to change the specs? (what is the right item in Samsung or Crucial product line? … this one is ok ? https://www.amazon.it/Samsung-MZ-V7S250BW-Unit%C3%A0-PLUS-Arancione/dp/B07MHXYL6T/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=samsung+ssd+M2&qid=1573839047&s=pc&sr=1-3)

Hi Paolo!

Just to be clear, I am just a volunteer moderator on the forums and an active user (hopefully viewed as being generally helpful :smiley:), not, an employee of Roon. I did not have any input on the published suggested hardware.

Roon’s hardware suggestions are for I am assuming, average or normal usage. When it comes to SSDs, I already posted what I would recommend. But, that too can change as hardware goes in and out of production.

I am happy to provide suggested hardware advice, but, I usually do so over PMs rather than just in the forums, as I think everyone’s needs are different; and I try to understand what a Roon user is trying to do and get a feel for how their use will grow, before suggesting hardware.

Also, from my own history of hardware discussions from early on in the forums, it was pretty clear that for my own personal use, I am solidly in the “way overspec the server hardware” camp rather than “just the basics to get it done” camp. My lastest server is in the “look at my hardware” thread with pics and specs if you are interested. Note it is not a NUC.

As for hardware recommendations, Peter is right about different users (even hardware techs) having different recommendations based on personal experience. For example, I had a series of Seagate drives fail spectacularly for me in the early 90s. Never touched, used, or spec’d a Seagate drive since. I tend to recommend hardware I have actually used, so, I recommend Samsung SSDs because that is what I currently use. I have never used a Transcend drive so I would never recommend it. I have used a Corsair drive and that is why I recommend Samsung, lol.

Seems like a straightforward spec, but, it is kind of meanlingless for SSDs. Take a read of this:

Ciao Daniel,

thanks for reply/help/suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:

ok then Samsung SSD… ok, I’ve seen your suggestion above

normal or average usage is my case probably, some hours/week (but NUC always ON) and a library that doesn’t reach 500 cd… I mainly use Tidal… and couple of light Procedural EQ

… then I will also need a guide to clone the SSD into the new one, as I would like to not spend time in re-installing everything :persevere: … suggestions?

There have been discussions with Roon to update the installation guide for this generation of NUCs. There appear to be two fundamental issues with this generation:

1. The M.2 drive is not enabled by default.
  2. It appears that none of the changes you make in the BIOS settings take effect until after you reboot the NUC.
    So people going through the NUC8ix install will not get the same responses you’d expect from the KB article. It seems just about everyone gets it eventually by trial and error.

What does surprise me slightly is that Roonlabs itself is using Transcend inside the Nucleus as their “recommended” drive.

Last November, my NUCs Transcend SSD crashes and I bought a „premium“ SSD from a well-known producer. Today, I noticed that my NUC is also affected by SSD issue…

Based on my very little sample, „premium“ SSDs do NOT gurantee a problem-free ROCK operating.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.