Intel NUC with Network Bridge vs Network Bridge mosaic app

Compared sound of same albums played from NUC + Network Bridge and played directly from the mosaic DCS app- sound with mosaic is more interesting: less sharp and digital. NUC has a teddy pardo LPS.
Any one else also had compared that? I really like Roon and its more user friendly so thinking is there any ways to improve sound from NUC?

I have a dCS Rossini+clock - the network bridge functionality is built-in. My server is a mac mini with a linear power supply (Uptone LPS-2) and an internal power mod to reduce fan noise to the motherboard (the MMK board, also from Uptone).

I find that Roon over the network to the Rossini sounds great, but Audirvana over USB sounds a little better. In all cases no DSP is applied. I have not compared Mosaic directly to Roon as you have, but I definitely see the possibility for a simpler/cleaner signal path. I have also tried Roon>HQPlayer>USB/Rossini and that is better than RAAT. But I don’t love the complications of HQPlayer or the non-Roon-based Audirvana setup in general, so I stick it with network/RAAT.

Have you checked no DSP at all is applied in Roon?

1 Like

Yep, I don’t use any dsp. Try mosaic, interesting what u will say

I have a dCS Network Bridge and Prism Sound DA-2(DAC), connect them with a pair of AES wire. And I compared with mosaic and roon(iMac 2019 and ROCK(in my ESXI 6.7 U2)), I found that same thing with you. No upsamples.

Best wishes to you.
Rolex Chen from China.

Confused as to why you’re using two AES connections - the dCS Network Bridge’s two connections only work together with dCS DACs (to my knowledge).

They should work with any DAC that has dual AES inputs

Yes, they are working very well With dual AES inputs to Prim Sound DA2. I mean it’s an awesome sound!

Yeah, you are right.

I have just experienced the same thing, but with Roon on a MacBook. I am wondering if a dedicated server would close the gap. Files on a usb stick in the back of the network bridge was the best result, but a horrible user experience.

1 Like

I find the most direct the path the better the sound. Mosaic playing files in a USB stick is pretty direct, a CD player playing to the coax or optical inputs (I always find coax to be better) is also more direct that all the hops required by RAAT. Not sure why.

1 Like

My dCS Network Bridge is working dual AES to Prism Sound Dream DA-2(DAC), support to 88.2k & 96k. Play Tidal MQA music via ROON can get 88.2k.I am sure about that.

But single AES or SPDIF supports 88 and 96, and there should be no problem at all with MQA.

Yes, because Prism Sound Dream Da-2 solo XLR ONLY support 44.1/48kHz. And 88.2/96kHz ONLY a way that dual XLR input.

In addition, the clock signal of DA-2 can be output to Bridge through BNC, and the clock of Bridge can also be output to DA-2 to synchronize. So I connect 2 XLR signal lines and 2 BNC clock synchronization lines between DA-2 and Bridge.

I’d like show you a DA-2 Operation Manual image.

Hi, Chen

Do you still have Prism DA2 ?