Intel Optane Memory 16Gb

Can I install ROCK on Intel Optane Memory 16Gb in NUC? 16 GB enough?

@support might be best to answer on the Opthane memory but as has been noted often 8gb would be more than adequate for rock on NUC

1 Like

I don’t know if this answers your question @danny has posted this reply: Intel Optane desirable for ROCK?

1 Like

according to this:

The Optane just appears as a bootable SSD. I have no experience with testing this, but @Alexandre_Lejeune seems to have had success.

Remember, Optane is not “RAM” (memory) – it is very fast “disk”.

16GB is well below the needed amount for the boot SSD of a Roon OS system. You will need at least 64GB to be safe.

16GB is well below the needed amount for the boot SSD of a Roon OS system. You will need at least 64GB to be safe.

Why so much?

it is very fast “disk”.

Yes, very fast: Sequential Read (up to) 900 (!) MB/s

Optane is “disk”, not RAM. The Roon database, including all your artwork, live in this database on this disk. That’s why you need 64GB.

RAM is a different story. You only need 4GB for most libraries or 8GB for big ones. 16GB for exceptionally large (300k+ tracks).

Strange, I think I’ll have to read up on this more. 900MB/s is quite slow compared to modern NVMe drives. For example, the Samsung 960 EVO Pro is around 1500MB/s:

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/200373/Samsung-SSD-960-EVO-250GB

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.