Interest for an archlinux based Roon Bridge solution

I’ve been running DietPi for many months now. Works perfectly and I’m very happy with it.

Except last week where I could not get the new version of Roon applied, which resulted in me wrecking the image (for whatever reason). I was not able to reinstall DietPi, so in the end (I desperately needed my music :wink: ) I installed archlinux (the installation process is somewhat less easy than DietPi :wink: ) so that at least I could listen to music again.

However, now that it’s running I’m actually looking into the possibility to create an Archlinux based image for RPI3 that does only do one thing: run RoonBridge. The other thing I’m looking into is building a Linux kernel with all the xmos usb patches applied (as they are not merged upstream yet) so my Wyred4Sound DAC can do native DSD.

Now I’m wondering: should I leave this my ‘weekend project’ or are there more people over here possibly interested?

oh. And to be clear: I’m still a big DietPi fan, so this is not about me being unhappy with that.

1 Like

A man’s got to tinker. :slight_smile:

Good luck – I’ll be happy to try things once you’ve made progress.

Not sure how the Pi’s shared networking/USB bus will hold up under higher DSD rates though – maybe the Odroid C2 is a better device to toy with? And be prepared for the requests for audio HAT overlays… :wink:

1 Like

Count me in and would love to see the usb patches applied so I can do native DSD with my Bryston BDA-3 and OPPO DAC.

I had mentioned this to Dan/DietPi, but I think he has other priorities on his plate.

Thanks

Yeah I can imagine. Biggest challenge right now is the time it takes to build a kernel, as this takes place in a container emulating ARM. So this could take ages potentially :wink:

No hurriy… We’ll check back in later tonight. :wink:

I know enough Linux to get by, a little dangerous, and no idea what it takes to compile a kernel, but thanks for the effort!

At least give him a couple of days… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok quick update. My system is still building the kernel, started this morning. So this is not gonna work, as my main desktop system shuts down in the evening…

So i need to shift this to another machine which means this will take a while.

However, I’m not gonna give up as I want native DSD for my DAC.

Keep you guys posted!

HI @RBM and @Govnah.

Got stuff running, including a rebuild kernel with most XMOS patches applied. What it offers right now is very basic:

• wired only
  • DCHP only
  • USB dacs only
  • RAM only (everything done with tmpfs)

on the plus side: this requires no config what-so-ever, just plug-and-play.

Big question is where to go from here. For my purposes it works perfectly fine, but I can imagine it requires some additional stuff to make it useful for others…

I do own a Hifiberry Digi+, so that one I could add rather easily I guess. Would be great if this thingie would remain ‘zero-config’.

Ah well. So far it has been fun! (except the frustrating part of building a kernel for the ARM architecture)