Internal and external ROCK drives not accessible from windows 11 machine

HI all,

Until recently I have had two shortcuts to my Rock drives. One an internal drive and the second an external copy. The change occurred when using a new broadband EE/BT router, the EE smart Hub Plus (SH31B). EE technical help were no help.

I created shortcuts on my windows machine which has allowed me to rip music and then copy it to my Roon system. The drives are now not accessible.

I can disconnect the external drive, add new music then use that to copy folders to the internal drive as a work round, but that’s a pain. Strangely using a mac mini, I can create shortcuts (alias) on the desktop and everything works fine…

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Did your shortcuts use the ROCK host name, or did they use the ip address of the ROCK server?

I.e. did they look like (assuming you have not changed the ROCK device hostname):

\\Rock\Data\Storage\

or

\\[ip address of ROCK]\Data\Storage

If the latter, the ip address will probably have changed and thus redering your shortcuts inoperable.

You should be able to check the shortcuts by right-clicking on the shortcuts and selecting properties.

Without using the shortcuts, you should be able to navigate to the ROCK internal storage by opening Windows File Explorer (Windows key + E) and then entering ‘\\Rock\Data\Storage’ in the address bar:

Whereupon, you should see (I only have internal storage):

If this does not work, you could try using ‘\\[ip address]\Data\Storage’ in the address bar.

I’m assuming that, other than the ability to browse to the ROCK library storage in Windows, your Roon system is fully functional on your Windows computer. I.e You can still control it using the Windows Roon client and you can still stream music to your Windows computer. If so, then it should all be working. The change of the ISP’s router should not affect LAN operation other than the different set of ip addresses in use.

If Roon on the Windows computer is not working and you have a mesh WiFi system, then it should all be operational. If it is not the case, then there could be a couple of reasons why it is not working:

1. Did you use a static ip address for your ROCK device? If so, that ip address may not be in the subnet created by the router - meaning that devices, like your Windows computer, not be able to use ROON.

2. If you also have a MESH wifi system (or any other secondary router device), maybe you have accidentally connected your windows computer to a different subnet to that containing the Roon Server.

Other than these points, the router should not affect operation on the local LAN.

I have tried the suggestions, but not able to access the drive at all.

Advanced IP Scanner shows the ROCK on the system and also a kubuntu machine that has a music store. I’m not able to access either of these hdd, ssd.

A post was split to a new topic: I cannot move any files to internal storage on my ROCK

Hi,

I have a workround the limitations of windows 11 home edition or whatever has changed to stop my original shortcuts from working.

Advanced IP Scanner finds the rock device. I then installed radmin viewer and entered “guest” as theb user name. This allows me to see the data directory and then I cdan create a new shortcut on the desktop to access the files.

Hope this might help others.