Internal or External Nucleus + drive recommendations

Moving my kit to a rack and the Inatech box connected to Nucleus + containing a WD 3tb drive with my music on took a tumble . Drive is dead and no longer trust the Inatech ( one of the lights never came back on ) . I have music backed up but as I’m forced to start from scratch would it better to go internal or external and any proven drives that anyone can recommend would be much appreciated .

~M~

Many nucleus users, including me, use this:

Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I’ve gone for the 4TB QVO Samsung as an internal SSD for my Nucleus, and I couldn’t be happier.
It’s completely silent, and very quick. A MASSIVE improvement over the 3TB HDD preciously attached to one of the USB ports.

1 Like

Yes, having the music on an SSD makes things much “snappier”.

1 Like

I use that drive, but a smaller version.

So generally an SSD internally is the recommended choice . Its quiet , plenty of space and will sit well with Nucleus + and give smooth operation ? The replacement drive and case I tried led to major dropouts and lag even when only populated with a smallish sample of my library .

Thx

~M~

I think it’s the best choice and will provide optimal performance. And especially good for if you’re putting your nucleus in a rack (I do the same). Less things to plug in, make noise and generate heat.

3 Likes

Ive actually settled on this one which appears to be the EU version of the original recommendation Samsung Evo 4tb SSD

Looking forward to getting my music back ;O)

~M~

Sorry for the stupid question, but to add files to the internal SSD drive once installed would be via USB in the back of the Nucleus?

mb

No, you can copy files to it from any pc or Mac. It’s just a drive on a Linux system.

2 Likes

Hi Guys- SSD installed and when I try and drag files from my Mac I get an authentication request I can’t get around. Files are set up to be ‘shared’. Sorry for the lame questions but I’m not a great computer guy. On my portable SSD I can just drag and drop them.

mb

Can you authenticate as a guest?

From the Knowledge Base page:

You can copy music to this drive by visiting the network share:
From a Windows PC
\\NUCLEUS\Data\Storage\InternalStorage

From a Mac
smb://NUCLEUS/Data/Storage/InternalStorage

Be sure to replace NUCLEUS with NUCLEUSPLUS if you have a Nucleus+

If asked for a username and password, use Guest for both.

1 Like

Thanks All- I finally figured it out with everyone’s help.

mb