Internet Radio only playing on left speaker

I just noticed that internet radio (e.g. [1]) is only playing on my left speaker, although Roon says it’s 2ch. When I open up the same stream in Quicktime player, it seems to be stereo. And of course, all other music is playing on all speakers.

[1] https://c5icy.prod.playlists.ihrhls.com/1469_icy

Hello @Boris_Pruessmann,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. I have tried the radio station you have posted and it seems to be working properly for me, both left and right channels are audible from within Roon. Can you please try to reboot your Core, DAC, networking gear and then try playing back the same radio station again?

Also, can you please provide more information regarding your setup using this thread as a guide:

Please let me know more information regarding your Core, DAC and what type of speakers you are using if rebooting does not resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

I am running ROCK on a NUC. Output is through a Pro-ject S2, attached to the NUC via USB. The DAC is playing out analog to an Arcam AVR-550.

Interestingly, I don’t have with all internet radio stations. For example, [1] is working as expected.

[1] http://ndr-ndr2-hamburg.cast.addradio.de/ndr/ndr2/hamburg/mp3/128/stream.mp3

Hello @Boris_Pruessmann,

Thank you for you report. As I mentioned in Jeff’s thread we are investigating the stream format of your station and Jeff’s stations and will let you know after the investigation has concluded.

Thanks,
Noris

Just as a quick addition: I tried playing out the radio stations from the NUC (via HDMI) directly into the AVR and that’s also left channel only.

When I play out via my MacBook, I only get the left channel as well. Using the System Preferences to move the balance all to the right, I don’t hear anything.

-Boris

1 Like

And when I play the same stream on my MacBook via VLC, I get it in stereo.

Thanks for letting me know that info @Boris_Pruessmann, I have added it as a note to your case. I will be sure to let you know once I have any more info to share regarding this issue after our investigation.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks, @noris. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Any update on this, @noris?

Hello @Boris_Pruessmann,

Thank you for requesting an update. We have found the cause of this issue to be related to the specific audio format that the station makes use of, namely the AAC “SBR” format. A ticket has been filed with the devs and I took a look at our internal tracker today and I can see that this ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen. Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

– Noris

Hi @Boris_Pruessmann,

We’ve just released Roon 1.7 (Build 500) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please give it this a try and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team at Roon Labs

Works as expected now. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.