Introducing Nucleus One - the most affordable Server Roon ever made!

Like me with 181,432 tracks…I guess you don’t.

Thought so, bummer

1 Like

Titan has 100k track limit also it looks like. These products are only good for small libraries. Makes no sense that there is nothing for large libraries.

1 Like

AFAIK, Titan is the replacement of the Nucleus+ - and according to Roon Labs article on hardware/software specs, the Nucleus+ is good for libraries up to 250K tracks…

You will note that the Titan specs say “over 100K tracks”, not up to 100K tracks…

Roon - Discover Nucleus

1 Like

Missed the over part. Thought it said up to.
But out of my ballpark anyway

1 Like

I doubt that will change anything, the issues with needing a reboot wont go away with hardware, its the software end thats at fault.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s a Nucleus, runs Roon Server on top of Roon OS, and does the things a Nucleus can do. But Roon OS is the same as all Roon OS devices, like the previous Nucleus and ROCK, and you can send output to HQP on a different machine like previously. This is new hardware, not a software update.

There is short video clip on YT showing how to install the 2.5” drive. It’s clearly a single drive HDD or SSD up to 8TB (size limit is for now I suppose).

OK, I see. Since Roon and HQP are on the same machine in my setup, I never thought of roon being on one machine and HQP on another.

Would I still output to my SoTM streamer via the network? The only difference would be that Roon wouldn’t be on my M1 iMac.

Really? There is a huge price gap between the One and the Titan (about 10 times more for the Titan?), and it seems a big performance gap too - at least the marketing copy for the Titan surely made it seem to me like it has considerably more performance than a Plus (and it should, given how much more it costs). I would have expected a replacement for the Plus to fill the gap in the middle, with a One - (new Plus) - Titan lineup.

At this $499 price point and with the NUC business in flux, it may not be a true NUC board inside. My educated guess would be a board based around the N5095/N5105 or N95/N100. A lot of mini PCs in the market right now are using boards with these Celeron level processors, which benchmark faster than the i3-7100U in the Nucleus.

AJ

3 Likes

This looks really decent for most users - well done.

6 Likes

Glad to see a new Nucleus at this price point. So much for the ‘Titan replacing everything’ FUD from January.

5 Likes

Would this be able to function as an endpoint to a much more powerful Roon server?

I already have a quite powerful server streaming to a mini PC running Bridge for the HDMI output. I would like to use this simply as an endpoint and use the HDMI-out to my AVR - would that work?

Yes, I was looking around for something with the port configuration you see in the back of the One and could not figure out a match in the NUC family. It surely is a cheap mini-PC OEM part.

I wonder if the RPI5 would be powerful enough to run ROCK.

I wondered about whether there would be three models, but I suspect there will be just the two: the Nucleus One and the Titan. Put the big price differential down to pure marketing and fancy covers. There’s probably enough well-heeled audiophiles around for the Titan to appeal to that market…

1 Like

Certainly cheaper than any new Apple Mac Mini model.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter. If the One is good for 100K tracks, many people with 200K will not want to pay ten times as much for a Titan, even if there are audiophiles who don’t care.

2 Likes

What an exciting product! Maybe this is a dumb question, but since it has HDMI audio out, I assume you can use that to feed the i2s input of a DAC?

If so that certainly makes this an enticing product to replace the PC I have built for my Roon core. Currently, I either use the USB out of that for my office system or have to add a streamer/DDC if I want to use different DAC inputs.

A refurbished base M2 Mini (256GB of internal storage) is $509 ($599 NIB).

4 Likes