Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Ok fair enough.

Found another oddity with the beta. Every morning I come down and the screen is on. Ropieee is set to reboot at its default Tim everyday but isn’t the screensaver supposed to kick in after 10 mins? If I start to play something and then stop and leave it the screensaver kicks back in after ten.

Hi,

Yeah known issue. I’ll release an update for the beta today that fixes a few issues, among them the screensaver.

Regards,

3 Likes

Your a legend Harry. Thanks

All, I’ve pushed out an update to the beta channel. This involves touchscreen stuff only.

Anyhow, I’ve made a set first fixes for all the valueable feedback I received. It’s still not complete yet, but with these set of patches the base is getting in good shape.

This version introduces a settings screen. This screen is accessible by pressing the bottom right corner. I’ve not placed a button or anything there, to keep the screen rather ‘clean’. When you’re in the settings screen everything is rather self-explanatory. There’s a big save button and the screen will be left again by either pressing the text at the top or waiting for 10 seconds.

Here are the changes:

FIXED: screensaver does not stop when starting play via remote
FIXED: screensaver does not kick in on start up
IMPROVEMENT: introduce settings screen
IMPROVEMENT: possibility to change contrast
IMPROVEMENT: switch time format
IMPROVEMENT: limit text width on long titles/album

As usual these changes will be pulled in somewhere the coming hours.

Enjoy!

Amazing Harry. Thank you so very much.

Wow, I think I might just have to get a touchscreen for my RoPieee now.

1 Like

Hi Harry,
new beta release working flawless.
thanks!

1 Like

Im so impressed moved this to my 2nd pi. :heart_eyes:

I just purchased a 2nd RPi 3 with Allo Boss dac + Volt amp for the bedroom.
To be powered by RoPieee. :+1:
Will try to use this combo (2x 50 W) to power a pair of Dali Fazon Sat’s.
I may be adding an SVS SB-1000 later.

Thanks Harry. Can you include a direct link to the latest beta image also, for manual install

Also check out the “cover art background theme” , looks cool and similar to Roon’s app:

@dabassgoesboomboom tahts @Mike_Plugge web extension, It would be awesome to see his work on the Ropieee build. What do you think @spockfish?

1 Like

Yeh I love his cover art background theme on the full 7" touchscreen:

1 Like

@spockfish - this looks like a great project. I would love to have my extension included with it.

The README.md for my extension (https://github.com/pluggemi/roon-web-controller) includes a sample systemd unit file to start it - and it was written for and works on Arch Linux. The example unit file assumes a user name node with a home directory of /srv/node, but that could easily be tweaked.

I am using Arch Linux Arm on my Raspberry Pi and use the following setup to run a full screen web browser. Once I install Arch Linux Arm:
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xf86-video-fbdev xorg-xset matchbox-window-manager chromium

I use this custom systemd service file (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gui.service) to start up the browser at boot time, and to restart it automatically if it crashes:

[Unit]
Description = Starts Xorg as defined in /home/USERNAME/bin/gui.sh
After = systemd-user-sessions.service network.target
Conflicts=getty@tty7.service

[Service]
User = USERNAME
Group = USERGROUP
PAMName=login
Type = simple
TTYPath=/dev/tty7
ExecStart = /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /home/USERNAME/bin/gui.sh -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7
Restart = always
StandardInput = tty

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

Which runs this script at /home/USERNAME/bin/gui.sh. The xset dpms command turns off the Raspberry Pi touchscreen after 60 seconds. And it wakes back up when tapped.

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=":0"
xset dpms 60 60 60 &
matchbox-window-manager -use_titlebar no -use_cursor no &
/usr/bin/chromium --kiosk <URL TO EXTENSION>
2 Likes

Just to say that the first time round, the software was not installed, but these commands got me up and running. It’s now running on a RPi2, and looks very good. Great work!

Just updated to the latest beta version. Screen brightness adjustment is fantastic. I did a shutdown and reboot and the brightness settings are retained.

Thanks Harry !

Hey Harry, I changed the reboot time to no time - ie. I pressed the X button to clear the time.

After it rebooted it worked but then rebooted every minute on it’s own.

I then changed the reboot time to 3AM and it’s stable again.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I’ll make sure the user can’t do that.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to getting this loaded up when I get back from my holiday in a couple of days time. I’m wondering what happens if you have more than one core on your network with ropieee?

Is there a web page or summary post about what the features are of this setup? Any plans to make it a DLNA endpoint as well, a la Volumio?

I hope not. :grinning: Keep this as pure Roon - none of your DLNA nonsense, please…