Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Tried again, fresh install after formatted the SD Card and then I used Etcher to burn the image.

Same thing, it just keeps on blinking rapidly and i cannot open http://ropieee, or also the IP address of the RPI3.

My SD Card is 32GB - could there be an issue with this size?

Hey Harry @spockfish

I spent the weekend at my dad’s place and played around with his HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO and Digit+ PRO, both running Ropieee beta Touchscreen image.

I hadn’t noticed before but with Roon up-sampling to Max with the Dac+ PRO, he gets Ropieee playing at 384kHz, which is beyond the rate that the HiFiBerry official image supports.

And it shows as ALSA as per the attached pics which looked different, compared with the official HiFiberry Roon image.

Is this how they HiFiBerry’s should be showing up?

Can anyone else that’s setup their Ropieee’s with HiFiBerry HATs and the beta touchscreen image please post similar images of ‘Audio devices’ under Roon settings, if possible.

Also at 384kHz Cat Stevens voice was high pitched (not sounding right). When I turned Roon DSP off it went back to his normal voice.

With the Digi+ PRO, the only output used is the digital coax (USB audio is disabled in Ropieee).

With the Dac+ PRO, only RCA outputs are used and again USB audio is disabled in Ropieee.

I then re-loaded the office HiFiBerry Roon images before I left, and again as normal, a maximum of 32bit/192kHz was supported (nothing higher than 192kHz). Strange that with Ropieee 384kHz was showing.

I also noticed with the latest beta images, that after the first couple of tracks played, that the album artwork and track titles etc didn’t change with different albums and tracks.

Just in case he had issues after I left, I left his Pi’s with the official HiFiBerry Roon images for now only because I won’t see him for another week.

Completely understand this is just beta for the touchscreen support - this is 100% not a complaint - just feedback for you.

Cheers, Sean

Can’t you set max sampling that you device can handle I room itself? Possibly the hifberry image is hardcore’s to the specs of the their device where standard RoonBridge is not?

Is a Rasberry Pi 2 or 3 recommended? Case and SD card is needed. What is the voltage range to power the Raspberry Pi? Or do I get one of these? https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497804385&sr=1-4&keywords=raspberry+pi+3

My HiFiBerry metal case arrived this morning. Assembly was fussy and non-intuitive but successful. Glad I looked HiFiBerry’s assembly instructions.

I re-connected the Pi-Berry DAC+ Pro combo and noticed my old Marantz SR9600 receiver was flashing its “PEAK” warning light at me signifying “the selected analog audio input signal is greater
than the capable level of internal processing”. The good news in this case is the Marantz has an attenuation function, thus everything sounds fine.

I wonder, is the output level of the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro a function of the RoPieee software or is output level completely unrelated to RoPieee. If output is affected by software should I perhaps try HiFiBerry’s own software?

I had a similar problem with my new Mytek Brooklyn DAC in the media room connected to a different system. The cure for output overload in that case was fitting jumpers to the Brooklyn.

I’ll try DietPi the next time I visit him but yes I already did try to limit max PCM to 192kHz - sound was fine but even the way they appeared in Audio Devices looked different.

Appreciate if anyone with HiFiBerry HATs and running Ropiee touchscreen beta image, can kindly post similar screenshots

Cheers

Mine seems to work ok I dont have the dac’s though just a digi and amp+ and have no issues with them. Then again I am not on the DSD bandwagon so may my input is moot.

I found my lcd upended the other morning and was wondering why. My guess is the mrs found it too bright and took action…then this am I was up (not normally) and caught it rebooting at 5:04am after 10 mins it when back to blank screen, but it was very bright in the room while it booted and waited to sleep.

Good thing was it remembered what it was playing even tho play doesn’t yet work with my iqaudio digiamp+ yet

Might have to get it to reboot at another time when listening is not likely and sleeping is not likely.

1 Like

Those 2 things are unrelated. Since a few releases RoPieee supports 384k in general on RPi, but not all HAT’s actually support it. I think that’s what you run into.

I need to look into this if there’s a way to limit this per device (hat), in stead of generic.

Hi Noel,

Sorry for the late response, I was gone for the weekend.
There’s someone else wo had this problem. It was the reason I bought a 32GB card myself just to test. Never came to actually testing it, but if you got something smaller lying around then I would definitely give it a try. In the mean time I’ll put ‘testing with a 32gb card’ higher on my prio list.

No problem at all Harry, it wasn’t difficult to limit to 192 anyway.

But I hadn’t used DietPi with his HiFiBerry boards before so wasn’t aware RoonBridge could show up to 384. I’ve only ever installed the official HiFiBerry Roon images on his HiFiBerry boards.

The naming of the HATs on the Ropiee settings page was a little confusing or unclear. I couldn’t see a clear ‘Digi+ Pro’ or a clear ‘DAC+ Pro’, as per HiFiBerry’s naming. It wasn’t too difficult for me to find but if that was my dad setting it up I would expect him to call me within minutes saying “I can’t find my boards”

As mentioned, sound was working in the end. I may get a Digi+ board for myself, just to test Ropieee with a HAT so I don’t have to wait till I visit him to test out new features.

@spockfish Harry, despite the lack of support (yet) for the digiamp+ roon seems to think it’s there, but won’t make a sound so I wonder if it’s something as simple as the mute option not being turned off.

Hi Harry,

Just wondering if there are any pointers you can offer to assist me in tracking down this Glitching Bug. As I described, by tests appear to point at my RoPieee.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/introducing-ropieee-a-roonbridge-to-go-image-for-the-raspberry-pi/24868/460?u=tony_david_cray

Hello Sean,

I also have 2 Hifiberry Dac+ Pro running.
And no problems so far with 384khz and upsampling.
With the official Ropieee and the Beta Ropieee with my LCD.
So there must be something else running weird.

I recognized when I reimaged my sd-card and started Roon Configuration that it had the first time weird output.
After saving the audio configuration in Roon and then rebooting Riopieee everything was fine.

The DAC supports 384khz so don’t worry!

Best regards
René

Thanks Rene. That sounds exactly the same as we experienced.

I wonder why HiFiBerry limits the DAC to 192kHz with their official Roon Image.

I may ask Daniel at HiFiBerry, just out of interest only.

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

Hello Spockfish,
hello Noel,

32Gb SD-Card never worked out of the box.
It’s expanding and checking forever!

16GB no issues at all.

I got once an SD Card with 32Gb running with Ropieee, but only after I deleted the whole partition with a partitionmanager and made a fat32 GB primary partition and after that imaged the Ropieee Image. But also this only helped once.
And 32GB for such a small image is a waste :wink:

Best regards

René

Hello Sean,

I could only imagine, that it has something to do with clipping.
Most of the time images like max2play recommended to set the DSP-Volume to max 96DB I guess.
With 100DB in alsamixer it always sounded very harsh with Dac+ Pro.
So when you are now upsampling to 384khz the frontier for clipping and bad sound could be lower than the 96DB.

Bu that’s just a guess!

With Roon you could easily set up the headroom and avoid such behaviour.

Another point is patching the kernel by yourself to support 384khz as it’s not in the official Release Branch

Best regards
René

2 Likes

I’m guessing this is related to the kernel they use. For RoPieee I’ve patched the kernel to support 384K. I’m doing that as well to support native DSD for certain USB dac’s, but maybe HifiBerry just uses a ‘stock’ kernel.

Thanks Harry, that makes sense.

It’s not a big drama at all, I was just curious but it didn’t affect listening because we could reduce it down to 24/192 anyway.

The album art not changing after a couple of tracks was strange though. The music kept playing to both the HiFiBerry Digi+ and DAC+ Pro HATs though, but the album art stopped changing on the screen.

Just some feedback, not at all complaint :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

I’ve pushed an update to the beta channel. This is largely ‘under-da-hood’ work.

• the remote extension has now a watchdog mechanism: it is constantly being checked if it is running and if it fails it is restarted. (version number of the extension has been changed to 0.3.0).
  • I’ve added (preliminary) support for the IQaudIO DigiAMP+

As usual this update is being pushed to your RoPieee over the coming hours.

@wizardofoz could you report on the digiamp?

1 Like