Introducing RoPieee - A RoonBridge-to-go image for the Raspberry Pi

Hey Harry, very minor and not urgent but as per my earlier observation can you change the following names in the HAT list:

Change “HiFiBerry DAC+” to “HiFiBerry DAC+ / DAC+ Pro”

Change “HiFiBerry DIGI Pro” to “HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro”

Just to make it all slightly clearer and more inline with HiFiBerry’s naming.

Hey Harry

I’ve updated to ext. 0.3.0 and the after-shutdown-and-power-on-the-screen-does-not-come-alive thing is there, when Roon is already playing

This time however, a ‘reboot’ from the ropieee.local page doesn’t fix it

Only a ‘commit changes’ from the ropieee.local fixes it. Previously, the ‘reboot’ worked to fix it.

This is a small difference to previous ext. 0.2.3 (or whatever the previous was)

The usual disclaimer - just feedback, no complaints

@spockfish well some issues…

First time I changed to the digiamp+ the setting didn’t commit

On a second attempt it did but I lost the devidence in roon and did a web a web page reboot and that go it back

Still no sound tho

Extension is 0.3.0 and was already updated and reflected before I made the change.

@spockfish I just went to the web page again to do a shutdown, but before I had a chance to do so it Rebooted and is now stuck in a reboot loop

Here are some rather hasty screen shots of just before it restarts…I think it’s time to reflash the image with a new one…looks like it’s toasted.

If there is a way to recover any log let me know and I will do what I can.

@Gordon_Garrity maybe Gordon can shed some light?

Ok I got a HiFiBerry board and just installed DietPi, just to convince myself everything is fine with how the HiFiBerry boards were showing up at my old man’s place.

Everything looks the same, which everyone probably already knew of course but I was looking for confirmation.

One interesting thing is HiFiBerry’s official Roon image doesn’t allow DSD of PCM (DoP) in the Roon settings. But I do have the option with DietPi (and obviously should with Ropieee too but I’ll install that later).

So there are some HiFiBerry restrictions with HiFiBerry’s image - max 192kHZ and no DoP support.

Just for anyone interested, after my earlier observations.

Hi Harry, Hi @Rene_Petri,

Thanks for the information - I’ll give it another try once I get myself a smaller SD card. I’m also currently will be away from my base for about 4 weeks, so it will be a while before I can give it another go, maybe by that time, the Ropieee display will be in its final version! :slight_smile:

Thanks again guys.

New updates working fine for me. Last two have been tickety boo.

1 Like

I need to check in hear more often. Sorry.

Only difference in terms of drivers for the AMP / DigiAMP above the Pi-DAC/DAC PRO/Pi-DACZero is that we use GPIO to control the AMP’s mute/unmute.

Use this overlay fine in /boot/config.txt to unmute the amp at startup
dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus,unmute_amp

I’ve not tried Ropieee yet but if the author wants to get in touch :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks. I’m the author and this is exactly what I’ve done :wink:

I don’t have the device itself, so that’s difficult testing.

@wizardofoz could you please test again? And describe what’s happening? And for clarity sake, leave out anything related to our ‘little’ experiment with the touchscreen :wink:

Thanks Harry, I have another digiamp+ without the lcd to play with too so maybe need to get a new SSD card or 3 to test some other images without risk of breaking a working image.

Might be a day or 3 as need to disassemble exiting working setups :blush:

Ok thanks. Would be cool, because RoPieee does exactly what @Gordon_Garrity describes so it should work.

Anyways, that’s the theory :wink:

I’ll wait for your feedback.

Regards,

Can you PM me your address and I’ll get boards out to you.

Gordon@iqaudio.com

3 Likes

I love the iqaudio boards… and the support is always great too…thanks Gordon

Guys,

Just pushed out another update on the beta channel.

Besides fixing an issue that occures when you’re updating Roon (which results in the touchscreen to just keep on showing progress), this version adds an initial version for sending feedback.

You’ll find a simple ‘send feedback’ button on RoPieee’s webpage; hitting it will result in RoPieee send all kinds of log files etc. to me so I can analyse stuff. I’ve been wanting this for a long time :wink:

Anyways, would be cool if the people with the ‘shutting-down-and-booting-up-results-in-a-frozen-screen’ replay that scenario, and hit this cool button. Leaving a message over here that you’ve send feedback is enough.

Oh! @dabassgoesboomboom I’ve fixed your textual remarks as well :wink:

1 Like

I like the iqboards too. In fact I have an idea for a cottage business based on them

Hey Harry, does this mean that up to now you haven’t been able to reproduce this issue yourself at all, at your end?

Even with no HAT at all?

The steps (for me) are:

1. First setup your extension in Roon and get Ropieee touchscreen working.

2. Shutdown Ropieee from the ropieee.local page

3. Unplug the power cable. This will be the only way to power up the Pi after shutting down from the ropieee.local settings page.

4. Play Roon music to the zone that has already been setup in the ropieee.local settings page

5. With already Roon playing, plug the power into the Pi to power up Ropieee

Cheers

I think there might still be some issues with more than 1 CORE running - but as I haven’t had my other one (ROCK) running for a week or so I will need to test that again. sending the logs sounds like it should help things troubleshooting wise.

Now I need to get that new image onto my LCD and hope that recovers to FSCK correctly again.

Update @spockfish

Loaded up a new card 16GB this time not 4GB, and updates took a while to run through but eventually came good. did the setup changes for system name, HAT, timezone extension etc and all good.

reenabled in Roon and the the Extn too… so far all going well

set the endpoint volume…selected a track and hit play…went in to check the results…MUSIC at last …

BUT it was short lived…when I went to adjust the volume the speakers muted as far as I can tell and there was no more sound…but the interface was still playing as was roon, and the button on the LCD paused and restarted ok. No amount messing about worked to restore music…I sent Feedback :smiley: so hope caught something there

so I rebooted…sadly that didn’t help either… shutting down and power off might…lets see

Ok so the shutdown power off and re-powerup came up with the infamous 1:12=====4.23 blank screen with buttons…and roon doesn’t see the ropieee device anymore…but the web page works…another send feedback done before a reboot is now taking place

so now after reboot from the webpage I have the album and device back again, but alas while its playing and indicating so, I still again have no sound…3rd feedback sent

Not sure how it will handle the 3 different feedback incomings at your end Harry but I guess in a few hours maybe you will have to sift through these and see whats happening.

addendum… it seems this might have something to do with the LCD stack as a basic DigiAMP+ hat is working fine without the LCD in the picture

Oh no, the after-shutdown-and-power-on-the-screen-does-not-come-alive thing rears it’s ugly head again :cry:

Im also trying the image with a non LCD fitted RPi3 and DigiAMP* Hat … watch this space…

This is working well… and volume is adjustable and all good.

Ive included a couple of guts images for the IQAudio DigiAMP+ install that includes a switch to Balanced headphone jack (OPPO PM-2’s) just for some fun if I want to not bother SWMBO.
The power supply is a DIY LMS regulated to 19VDC and is able to push ~3A as the 18VAC/2.2A secondary windings are in parallel . It has no power switch so is on 24x7 and connects to a pair of bookshelf speakers. Runs absolutely silent and has no lights other than the LAN indicators at the rear. It runs very cool and barely breaks a sweat even when its pumping some good SPL’s. A much simpler build would be to not have the headphone output switchable, and just use the Balanced 4way XLR for either headphone or speakers. Perhaps even using a 4way speakon connection instead of the 5 way binding posts next time.

1 Like

Nope. No feedback at all.

Sending the feedback takes some time though, so I’m not hoping you’ve been pulling the plug directly after doing that.